Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: are there any 3L's out there who don't regret going to law school?  (Read 3372 times)

worried_234789

• View Profile
    • Email
Just curious.  I'm considering whether or not to go next year and things look really, really bad.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
Re: are there any 3L's out there who don't regret going to law school?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 06:09:14 PM »
I don't regret going to law school at all.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 06:19:26 PM »
Those who are unemployed now are probably bitter. Those who have a job waiting for them are not. Simple as that.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 07:07:46 PM »
Those who are unemployed now are probably bitter. Those who have a job waiting for them are not. Simple as that.

Meh, I disagree. I have a job offers but Iím probably not going to take them. I donít have an offer doing what I want to, and I may not have one by the time I graduate. I may be without a job for awhile, but that does not mean I regret going to law school.

I did not go in thinking I would have something handed to me, or that finding a job I was willing to take would be easy. I expected it to be tough, and my expectations where right. My hunch is those that went in with high expectations without much thought to what might happen if they did not work out are more disappointed than others.

I donít think it comes down to job/no job only. I bet plenty of people are taking jobs now that they never would have thought of 3 years ago and that they are not happy with because they thought going in everything was going to come up roses. Call me a pessimist, but I always think things are going to come out crappy, so Iím rarely disappointed, or uprepared when they do.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 07:39:26 PM »
I suppose I should have clarified:

Those who have no job offers or prospects thereof are likely to be bitter. Sitting on multiple offers (even if they are not ideal) usually does not make one bitter. I suspect that most unemployed 3Ls with no offers and no prospects will be bitter soon if they still can't find anything after graduation & passing the bar (or if they end up in truly crappy positions like ID mills). 

I don't know 3Ls who are bitter, but I do know a few 3Ls who just had offers rescinded or postponed by biglaw firms. Since these things are just coming down the pipe, they are more in panic mode rather than bitter mode at this point.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

lawmama09

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 12:15:28 AM »
I don't regret it at all. Now, I do have a job offer (so far not postponed or anything), so I may have a rosier view than other people. I also went to a lower-ranked school on a large scholarship, so even if I didn't have a job, my debt is pretty minimal so I don't have that heavy burden to worry about. But I'm about 10 years out of undergrad, and I really enjoyed going back to school. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 12:26:45 AM »
I don't regret having gone to law school at all.  (It's what I needed to do in order to have the career I want.)  I do sometimes rue the fact that I didn't go a year earlier or a year later, but, you know, c'est la vie.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 12:40:38 AM »
I don't regret it.
YLS c/o 2009

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 01:21:53 AM »
Not bitter, but not entirely happy.  The only thing I wanted going into law school was to work at a big firm when I graduated.  I knew it would be a huge gamble, but I banked on the fact that I would succeed.  Had no back up plan whatsoever.  Anyway, ended up with the grades I needed (top 10% from top 20 school) and the economy tanked.  I have an offer from an amazing firm, but my start date is delayed.  looking at jobs to fill the time gap reminds me how scary the prospect of having the job canceled actually is.  Absolutely no desire to do anything but work for a large firm. 

And, for anyone that might be rude in response to that, it is not because I care about money or am a huge snob, it is just that I need the big firm on my resume to open doors and get me my dream job.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 01:28:21 AM »
Not bitter, but not entirely happy.  The only thing I wanted going into law school was to work at a big firm when I graduated.  I knew it would be a huge gamble, but I banked on the fact that I would succeed.  Had no back up plan whatsoever.  Anyway, ended up with the grades I needed (top 10% from top 20 school) and the economy tanked.  I have an offer from an amazing firm, but my start date is delayed.  looking at jobs to fill the time gap reminds me how scary the prospect of having the job canceled actually is.  Absolutely no desire to do anything but work for a large firm. 

And, for anyone that might be rude in response to that, it is not because I care about money or am a huge snob, it is just that I need the big firm on my resume to open doors and get me my dream job.

I'm sorry to hear that your start date was deferred, and I hope that you keep your job.  I don't have any problem with your career goals.  I do wish you wouldn't defend your buddy TheDudeMan when he calls someone a moron for coming out of UT this year without a job.  You know better, obviously, and you should be willing to tell him so.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.