Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Denver full scholarship or Illinois no $$  (Read 892 times)

charley

• View Profile
Denver full scholarship or Illinois no $$
« on: March 23, 2009, 01:15:17 PM »
I have a full scholarship to Univ of Denver, and I've also been accepted to Univ of Illinois- no money so far, and probaby won't get any as my scores are below their medians... I want to do public interest, but I'm still not sure I should choose Denver over Illinois..

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
Re: Denver full scholarship or Illinois no $$
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 01:16:06 PM »
I have a full scholarship to Univ of Denver, and I've also been accepted to Univ of Illinois- no money so far, and probaby won't get any as my scores are below their medians... I want to do public interest, but I'm still not sure I should choose Denver over Illinois..

Where do you want to work after graduation?
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

charley

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 01:26:12 PM »
I have no idea where I want to work after graduation! That is part of the problem in choosing the right school, as I know many are rather regional as far as job prospects go. I might go to Denver and fall in love with it, but if that doesn't happen, I'd like to have a bit of flexibility with my degree. It'd be hard to make myself choose a school ranked 88 over 27, but the idea of having no tuition debt is really really tempting...

rekopter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 01:32:57 PM »
what are the requirements to keep your scholarship?

charley

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 01:57:06 PM »
I would have to keep a 3.0 gpa.

I am going back and forth on this. As far as cost of living goes, both Denver and Champaign seem pretty cheap. Denver might be slightly higher, but I've seen lots of apartments there for reasonable prices. I haven't visited either place yet, so can't say which I like better. Hoping to be ablet to visit..
Also, Denver requires $500 deposit on April 10th, and Illinois on April 24th. I still haven't heard back from many other schools. Why do they do this?! Anyway, thanks for reading!

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 02:15:21 PM »
3.0 is not that hard to keep, our curve is a 3.00-3.10, so you need to be roughly in the top 50% to keep your money. I'm a 4L part time at Denver graduating in May.

As for Denver vs. Ill, I'll just say (and I think after rekopter being here for a awhile he would agree) there are real benfits to going to school in a decent sized legal market over going to school in BFE. You will certainly have more OCI stuff at Ill. than Denver for sure based on ranking, but if that does not pan out your stuck in BFE with no job and no way to network unles you move to anouther city.

In Denver I can netowrk anytime i want, I have breakfest once a week with a group of lawyers and juges, am in an Inn of the court and live 5 mins fron the state and fed court house. Being in Denver proper allows me lots of opertuties, despite the schools rank, I would not have living in a small town. BUT Ill will travel much father than Denver, Denver is great for Denver, but no much father outisde of Colorado becuase its regional, that and all the benfits I said before about being right in town.

Let me know if you have any questions about Denver or the legal market, I have no horse in this game, so it does not matter to me if you go to Ill or Denver, so I'll just tell you what my experinces have been, but those will be denver specfic sense that's all I know!

PS. Do you ski or snowbaord, if yes then the aswer is easy  ;D
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 02:47:33 PM »
Denver.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

iamluke20

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 03:16:07 PM »

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 03:33:42 PM »
Denver.

That's what I say. But I'm biased.

+1, biased as well.

It's hard to argue with a full ride to a good school.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2009, 04:02:19 PM »
Denver.

That's what I say. But I'm biased.

+1, biased as well.

It's hard to argue with a full ride to a good school.

Seriously, no debt = lots of options