Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Crazy to choose Mich over Columbia/Chicago??  (Read 935 times)

thepickle

• View Profile
    • Email
Crazy to choose Mich over Columbia/Chicago??
« on: March 23, 2009, 11:07:48 AM »
So the details are: I would be paying full boat at Columbia, got 11K per year at Chicago, 20K per year at Penn, and 18K per year at Michigan. Granted, I have only visited Penn and Michigan, but I really fell in love with UMich during the Preview Weekend (anyone else attend and really love it??)...Anyway, everyone has been telling me I should be going to the top school that I get into, and Columbia was always my top choice.

Now I think Michigan is the best fit for me, but I worry that I would be sacrificing career opportunities to attend over schools like Chicago or Columbia (or even Penn, which gave me more $$ than Michigan)...

One area of concern is that I am coming straight from undergrad, and certainly have not built up nearly the resume of most other incoming law students. This leads me to think that I might need the primo name on my diploma even more than the average student.

So any opinions would really be appreciated. Would I be crazy to attend Umich over Columbia and Chicago? How much am I sacrificing in terms of job and career prospects

Resident CLS Troll

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Crazy to choose Mich over Columbia/Chicago??
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 11:26:42 AM »
So the details are: I would be paying full boat at Columbia, got 11K per year at Chicago, 20K per year at Penn, and 18K per year at Michigan. Granted, I have only visited Penn and Michigan, but I really fell in love with UMich during the Preview Weekend (anyone else attend and really love it??)...Anyway, everyone has been telling me I should be going to the top school that I get into, and Columbia was always my top choice.

Now I think Michigan is the best fit for me, but I worry that I would be sacrificing career opportunities to attend over schools like Chicago or Columbia (or even Penn, which gave me more $$ than Michigan)...

One area of concern is that I am coming straight from undergrad, and certainly have not built up nearly the resume of most other incoming law students. This leads me to think that I might need the primo name on my diploma even more than the average student.

So any opinions would really be appreciated. Would I be crazy to attend Umich over Columbia and Chicago? How much am I sacrificing in terms of job and career prospects

Plenty of law students come straight from undergrad.  I don't think you'd be unique in that respect.

Choosing UMich with $18k/year over CLS isn't crazy, especially if you loved the school.  That said, I would take Preview Weekend with a grain of salt.  As for what you'd be giving up in terms of job/career prospects, I'd say a little (CLS median beats Mich median), but the schools are close enough that where you fall in the class rankings is probably more determinative than where you go.

If it were Michigan full ride versus CLS sticker, it would be pretty clear.  This is a closer question.  But if you're looking for someone to tell you that it's okay to turn down CLS to go to Michigan with $18k/year, well I'm telling you that it's okay to turn down CLS to go to Michigan with $18k/year.

thepickle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 11:31:22 AM »
That can't be what the Resident CLS Troll is supposed to say! While I got you here, any restaurants, sites, etc that you recommend I check out during ASD at Columbia this week?

DrLazarus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 11:44:05 AM »
Just to add a Michigan student's perspective, I credit everything CLS said.  I was going to write more, but anything I wrote would be redundant.
Michigan 2010.  Brr.

Resident CLS Troll

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 11:56:51 AM »
That can't be what the Resident CLS Troll is supposed to say! While I got you here, any restaurants, sites, etc that you recommend I check out during ASD at Columbia this week?

Part of being a good troll is telling people the honest truth.  If I just said CLS is always the right answer no matter what then I wouldn't have much credibility, now would I?

If you like Thai food, I strongly recommend Wondee Siam V, which is on 108 & Amsterdam.  Though to be honest I think they should be providing you with free food and drink the whole time and if they don't, you have grounds for complaint.

Resident CLS Troll

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 12:17:33 PM »
god I hate NYU

Which is weird considering that Chicago and NYU are virtually identical in every way shape and form.

Resident CLS Troll

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 12:38:23 PM »
It should be noted though that this probably has something to do with the fact that Michigan's largest placement market probably  in part due to self selection is Chicago which has a lower ceiling on starting salaries than New York but also significantly lower cost of living.

I don't think the thing about Michigan's largest placement market being Chicago is quite right.  I'm pretty sure the thing about Chicago having a lower ceiling on starting salaries is wrong.

aporia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 12:41:03 PM »

Now I think Michigan is the best fit for me...

The conversation should stop right here.  Pick Michigan.
Columbia 2011

SamE397

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 08:02:25 PM »
It should be noted though that this probably has something to do with the fact that Michigan's largest placement market probably  in part due to self selection is Chicago which has a lower ceiling on starting salaries than New York but also significantly lower cost of living.

I don't think the thing about Michigan's largest placement market being Chicago is quite right.  I'm pretty sure the thing about Chicago having a lower ceiling on starting salaries is wrong.
^ clicked on wrong quote

Dammit I just did some research and you're right on both accounts I was basing that on old information oh well. ;D