Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UGA v. Emory v. GA State  (Read 1054 times)

GSUEagle08

• View Profile
    • Email
UGA v. Emory v. GA State
« on: March 22, 2009, 10:20:12 PM »
My numbers are 3.45 and am hitting around 163/164 on practice exams. Assuming I hit this mark on the real LSAT, would I be competitive for acceptance to the Big 3 in Georgia? Additionally, I am a resident of Georgia and would prefer to study law in state. With the "Big 3," which is the best option for practicing in GA?

Thank you'll for any advice in advance.

dennycrane

• Sr. Citizen
  • My Hero
    • View Profile
Re: UGA v. Emory v. GA State
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 09:26:16 AM »
Overall, I think your best bet would be UGA.

First, you would probably be more competitive for admission at UGA than Emory if your real score is consistent with your practice scores. GSU would almost be a guarantee. However, it is often the case that your real score is lower than your actual (I was getting 3-5 points higher on my practice exams than what I got on the real thing).

Incoming Class - Fall 2008

UGA--
Median LSAT - 163
Median GPA - 3.67

Emory--
Median LSAT - 165
Median GPA - 3.55

However, I think what is most important is that you are a GA resident and want to practice law in GA. First, as a GA resident your tuition will be dirt cheap at UGA as compared to Emory. Second, GA firms are biased against those who are not from and/or do not exhibit a true intention on staying in GA. Going to both GSU for undergrad (which I am assuming you did from your sn) and UGA for law school, would be a pretty good showing to GA law firms that you are committed to staying in GA. Whereas, since Emory has so many out of state students, they have a harder time convincing law firms that they are not going to skip town after working for a few years in GA. If you do not get into UGA, you will most likely get into GSU, which is not that bad of a gig either. Unless you get a full ride at Emory, I would go with UGA first and then GSU. Hope that helps! Good luck.
Emory 3L.