Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Free Cardozo or Sticker GW (with free housing)  (Read 826 times)

trojanforlife

• View Profile
Free Cardozo or Sticker GW (with free housing)
« on: March 22, 2009, 10:14:29 PM »
So, I'm a poor college student. I'm most interested in working in NYC and/or DC, but anywhere on the east coast is cool. Cardozo game me a full ride and federal loans for living expenses, and my aunt/godmother lives in DC and said I could live with her if I go to school there.

I guess the question is, is the prestige jump worth the jump in price?

I think I know the answer but I'm looking for input anywhere I can get it. Any and all opinions would be welcomed and appreciated.

Remarq

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Free Cardozo or Sticker GW (with free housing)
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 10:21:57 PM »
Would there really even be much of a difference in debt with NYC COL of living? I'd go with GW. if you're talking about 120K at GW and 90K at Dozo, I'd take GW.

trojanforlife

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 10:28:13 PM »
Thanks Remarq, I was thinking the same thing. Lately, people have been advising me to go wherever the full tuition scholarship was, so I've been questioning it.

trojanforlife

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 11:00:08 PM »
is it this cut and dry?

I could use other viewpoints and opinions

thanks  :)

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 11:39:44 PM »
If you were going to be paying living expenses at GW I would say it would be a closer call, but if you can get a GW degree with what, 100k in loans, as opposed to 170k+, I would say it is a pretty clear cut decision ... GW.  I don't mean to diss cardozo, but GW is a better school.
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 08:02:32 AM »
What, if any, are the conditions on keeping the Cardozo scholly? I went through a similar decision, debating between a 'Dozo full ride + stipend and sticker at a few much higher-ranked schools. I went with one of the other schools, in large part because I knew how easily I could lose that scholarship, which required top 1/3 to maintain. At the time I was making my decision, Cardozo had a reputation of stacking all of the big scholarship recipients in one section, thereby guaranteeing that many would lose their meal tickets. Y'know, what with the curve and all.

To be fair, that was several years ago (I started fall '06) and I have no knowledge of how they do things now. I believe they have a new director of admissions since then. All I'm saying is that you should take into account the possibility of losing the scholarship after the first year, and try to gauge how likely or unlikely that scenario is. 
I was referring to your intellectual penis. Which is quite robust.

Jolie is creeping up on me.