Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: GW vs. Fordham ($$) vs. W&L ($$) vs. Temple ($$$)  (Read 1119 times)

markc

• View Profile
    • Email
GW vs. Fordham ($$) vs. W&L ($$) vs. Temple ($$$)
« on: March 22, 2009, 07:53:22 PM »
I need help choosing a school. I got into GW with no scholarship, Fordham gave me 15k a year, Washington and Lee gave me 20k a year and Temple gave me a full tuition scholarship. I only visited GW and Fordham so far and I really liked GW a lot. I also like how GW is in D.C. but I'm worried about the bigger amount of debt if I go there. Also, I'm not sure about Temple since its ranking isn't as high but it is a full tuition scholarship. Any suggestions?

rj

• View Profile
Re: GW vs. Fordham ($$) vs. W&L ($$) vs. Temple ($$$)
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 11:44:33 PM »
Where do you want to live when you graduate?

markc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 11:36:30 AM »
Not sure yet but I do like D.C. better than New York.

LawSchoolAuthority

• View Profile
    • Law School Authority
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 11:42:02 AM »
If you have any questions about w&l, let me know.

soundsgood

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 08:38:53 PM »
I'd recommend visiting W&L.  If you could picture yourself in a small town for 3 years, I would take W&L over Fordham (keeping in mind your goal of DC over New York).  Fordham is a great school, but my impression is that it loses a bit of its prestige outside of NY.

I guess you could try to get some money from GW, but I don't know how likely that would be.  GW is a great school, especially for DC.  That being said, I don't think its placement is substantially greater than W&L's in DC (though it definitely allows for greater networking opportunities).  I think an extra 60k plus living expenses is a stiff price to pay for marginally better prospects.

If you want to be in DC, I don't think Temple is the way to go.  However, it is a fine school, and a full ride is nothing to sneeze at--especially if you aren't interested in biglaw (hopefully it will still exist when you graduate).  Factoring in your scholarship at W&L,and increased living expenses of living in Philly, I'd imagine you are only saving about 10k a year by choosing Temple over W&L.

To summarize, I'd probably go to W&L, if you think you can handle living in a small town.  All pretty good choices to have though, can't really go terribly wrong.  I guess I should note that I go to W&L, so I may be biased.

T. Durden

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 04:52:29 AM »
W&L and Temple really shouldn't be in this discussion at all - provided that your aspirations are biglaw. If, however, you're considering public interest and the like, then go with W&L for bang for buck value (employment opps + CoL + scholarship). Temple? I recommend that you mail in your "thanks but no thanks" letter today. If biglaw is your goal, go to GW if you're looking for DC placement, Fordham if you'd prefer NYC placement. Really, your decision is that simple ;)

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 07:36:05 PM »
W&L and Temple really shouldn't be in this discussion at all - provided that your aspirations are biglaw. If, however, you're considering public interest and the like, then go with W&L for bang for buck value (employment opps + CoL + scholarship). Temple? I recommend that you mail in your "thanks but no thanks" letter today. If biglaw is your goal, go to GW if you're looking for DC placement, Fordham if you'd prefer NYC placement. Really, your decision is that simple ;)

There is no reason to take W&L out of the discussion if you're considering biglaw.  If you're considering DC biglaw, I'd take Fordham out of the discussion well before W&L.  But I would consider how well you think you'd do in a small town, albeit only for 3 years.
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

k0em9u

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 11:53:01 PM »
I'd say Fordham, although you need to consider the cost of living as well. New York is an expensive place, so if money is a real big issue, go W&L.

Temple is out, and I'm tempted to say GW is out. Yes GW is better than Fordham, but not at any price.
Sue me female dog, I know a lawyer.

markc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 09:45:09 PM »
Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.