Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What is a hold?  (Read 3759 times)

bl825

• Sr. Citizen
  • There are just so many reasons to smile.
    • View Profile
Re: What is a hold?
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2009, 08:43:07 AM »
I would say that rather than hold something back, throw everything at them with the initial application but try to get some things ready to go in case of a waitlist that you would not have been able to send with the initial. 

Of course there's a limit to how much you want to send initially, but I don't imagine most people would run up against it.  :)
Oh yea...you're delicious and lean, but unsustainable and not to be consumed daily.

cherpin

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2009, 06:31:15 PM »
Don't mean to venture too far off topic, but what if you have no real accomplishments since sending out your application? I mean, I completed an intense senior thesis, but is that worth including?

My letter format is more personal because I am close to the school, but I also talked about externship programs and such and how I was offered scholarships to other schools but I would turn them all down to have the chance to attend that school that i'm on the wait list for.  Is this a correct way to go about it?

IMO, this is the hardest part of applying. What "guns" do you save for the spring and summer? And if you are not a slam-dunk at a school, you know you are more likely to get waitlisted of turned down. For such schools, you must save a gun, even if it's just an extra LOR from a prof or employer you haven't approached yet, or an optional essay (i.e., statement of diversity, special interest in a program at the school, a second 1-page topical essay, June LSAT score, etc). But you need some gas in the tank so you have an excuse to stay in touch.

If you get held or waitlisted and you have nothing to offer over the summer, it's sort of like being at a dance without dancing shoes. Don't expect to be asked to dance.

I was able to get a recommendation from a prominent alumnus in our area, and I'm going to send them a LOCI this week.  Should I hand deliver it? Or is it better mailed?

I guess after that, my options are somewhat exhausted--or should I keep nagging them?

sheltron5000

• Sr. Citizen
  • All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2009, 07:44:14 PM »
um, if you can hand deliver the loci you don't really need to send it at all.
LSN

I'd love to join this LGBT club.  It's the Legos, Gobots, Barbies, and other Toys group, right?  I'll show up with an armful of toys.