Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What is a hold?  (Read 3878 times)

This is wrong.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Dear LawDog3...
    • View Profile
Re: What is a hold?
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2009, 08:07:13 PM »
I LOVE HOW PEOPLE TELL ME SOMETHING IS WRONG BUT CAN'T BACK IT UP with hard info.

This is wrong.

NOW THIS IS WRONG KNOWS MORE THAN SUSAN ESTRICH.

This is wrong.

Anyone who disagrees with me obviously does not read admissions books or do research.

This is wrong.

I AM 100% CORRECT.

This is wrong.
I do not like hats.
I do not like them on bats.
I would not like them near cats.
I would not like them made out of mats.

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2009, 08:10:48 PM »
The squeaky wheele gets the oil, right?

This is wrong.

The only differences are that your file likely has not received a full review and the committees will probably come to some kind of decision on you (admit, deny or waitlist) BEFORE the summer.

This is wrong.

The squeaky wheel doesn't get the oil? So an inactive applicant on hold or waitlist has the same chance (all things being equal) as an active applicant who demonstrates his continued interest and continues a professional manner of cammunications with the adcoms? FLAME!

And a hold is a waitlist? an admit?...FLAME!

I am correct. And any adcom will tell you. A held file is just being held over until the adcom can get a better feel for the composition of the class, then evaluate ur file later. It is a sort of waitlist in that ur still being evaluated and u are "waiting", but there's no determination to potentially draw ur file to replace another admitted applicant. Moreover, he;ld files receive a designation before summer. I have been held, so I know...freshman!

"YOUR BIRTH WAS WRONG!"

This is wrong.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Dear LawDog3...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2009, 08:18:16 PM »
The squeaky wheel doesn't get the oil?

This is wrong.

So an inactive applicant on hold or waitlist has the same chance (all things being equal) as an active applicant who demonstrates his continued interest and continues a professional manner of cammunications with the adcoms?

This is wrong.

And a hold is a waitlist? an admit?

This is wrong.

I am correct. And any adcom will tell you.

This is wrong.

freshman!

This is wrong.

"YOUR BIRTH WAS WRONG!"

This is wrong.
I do not like hats.

bl825

• Sr. Citizen
  • There are just so many reasons to smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2009, 09:31:55 PM »
LawDog3's funny when he throws his little tantrums.  :)
Oh yea...you're delicious and lean, but unsustainable and not to be consumed daily.

bl825

• Sr. Citizen
  • There are just so many reasons to smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2009, 09:52:55 PM »
Just so that the OP doesn't get mixed messages, I'd like to reiterate that LawDog3 is correct about an applicant having better chances of getting off a waitlist if she is proactive.  I don't really think the thing to emphasize is how you got into other schools though.  Rather, it makes sense to talk about why the school and the applicant are a good fit.  :)
Oh yea...you're delicious and lean, but unsustainable and not to be consumed daily.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2009, 11:50:31 PM »
U guys don't know what ur talking about. I have helped people get off the waitlist by instructing them to do the very thing I am telling OP to do. Read Susan Estrich's (OF USC LAW) book, HOW TO GET INTO LAW SCHOOL...and she advises this very method!!

A friend of mine had been admitted to UVA in 2006 and had been "held" by Penn...as soon as she wrote the letter (which I crafted), she received a call asking her to come to Penn. Another friend did the same thing with GWU targeting Georgetown.

As Estrich tells it IN HER BOOK!, and as I know from experience...schools are competitive with each other and do not like to lose out on top talent, or talent they covet.

Do i have to start giving chapters and verses agaion, or will anybody STFU and admit that I know what I am talking about? And...for the record, a LOCI has three components: 1) Affirmation of Interest (obviously), 2) Update on new information (i.e., accomplishments, scholarships/awards, accolades, and, YES, admission to other schools), confirmation that the school is your first choice (do not lie).

The fourth, hidden purpose is a sort of implicit "warning" that the target school may lose u.

I LOVE HOW PEOPLE TELL ME SOMETHING IS WRONG BUT CAN'T BACK IT UP with hard info. NOW THIS IS WRONG KNOWS MORE THAN SUSAN ESTRICH. Anyone who disagrees with me obviously does not read admissions books or do research.

I AM 100% CORRECT. I HAVE SEEN THIS.   

Did you type the letter in all caps with questionable grammar?
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

cherpin

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2009, 03:49:33 PM »
Don't mean to venture too far off topic, but what if you have no real accomplishments since sending out your application? I mean, I completed an intense senior thesis, but is that worth including?

My letter format is more personal because I am close to the school, but I also talked about externship programs and such and how I was offered scholarships to other schools but I would turn them all down to have the chance to attend that school that i'm on the wait list for.  Is this a correct way to go about it?

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2009, 02:19:49 AM »
LawDog3's funny when he throws his little tantrums.  :)

oh, I'm sure...ha-ha-ha...lol.

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2009, 02:26:30 AM »
Don't mean to venture too far off topic, but what if you have no real accomplishments since sending out your application? I mean, I completed an intense senior thesis, but is that worth including?

My letter format is more personal because I am close to the school, but I also talked about externship programs and such and how I was offered scholarships to other schools but I would turn them all down to have the chance to attend that school that i'm on the wait list for.  Is this a correct way to go about it?

IMO, this is the hardest part of applying. What "guns" do you save for the spring and summer? And if you are not a slam-dunk at a school, you know you are more likely to get waitlisted of turned down. For such schools, you must save a gun, even if it's just an extra LOR from a prof or employer you haven't approached yet, or an optional essay (i.e., statement of diversity, special interest in a program at the school, a second 1-page topical essay, June LSAT score, etc). But you need some gas in the tank so you have an excuse to stay in touch.

If you get held or waitlisted and you have nothing to offer over the summer, it's sort of like being at a dance without dancing shoes. Don't expect to be asked to dance.

This is wrong.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Dear LawDog3...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2009, 02:27:55 AM »
Don't expect to be asked to dance.

This is wrong.
I do not like hats.