Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Temple v. Rutgers-Newark v. USF v. Pacific-McGeorge  (Read 1863 times)

espanol

• View Profile
Temple v. Rutgers-Newark v. USF v. Pacific-McGeorge
« on: March 21, 2009, 09:58:01 PM »
Hello LS Discussion Folks,

So I am a SoCal resident with a slight preference for staying local (I am a big family person), but I am open to relocating.  That said, I have a couple of solid options on my plate that have upcoming seat deposits due.  My four top choices are Temple, Rutgers-Newark, USF, and Pacific-McGeorge.  I am big on going to a school with top notch trial advocacy and legal writing, and would be a open to a move to Philly (Temple).  Pacific-McGeorge is appealing because they offering me scholarship money which is hard to pass on.  Lastly, USF and Rutgers-Newark are in the mix because I have several family members in both San Francisco and New Jersey. 

Given my situation what do you guys think is my top prospect?

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Temple v. Rutgers-Newark v. USF v. Pacific-McGeorge
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 11:09:27 PM »
I'd say Temple.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

swc5018

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 11:19:37 AM »
I too would vote Temple, but something to consider would also be their policy on in-state tuition. Try to find out if/when you would be eligible for in-state tuition, cause I know at Rutgers if you sign a NJ lease by July you get in-state rates.

Changed Name

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 01:04:08 PM »
How much is Pacific offering you?

I'd say either USF or McGeorge for a few reasons.  Firstly, I know that neither school is "local" to where you're currently from, but I would believe that either school would have a much better chance of being able to land you a job in SoCal than, say, Temple or Rutgers. 

Secondly, have you visited the two out-of-state schools?  I'm from NorCal and I relocated to a vastly different state, and trust me, it's not something you can easily adjust to (I relocated because the school I'm attending is pretty good and they offered me too good of a scholarship to pass on).

From all of those schools, getting the prestigious "big law" job is going to difficult unless you're top 10%, so I wouldn't base a decision on which school gives you "better" job prospects.  Mainly because there's just no way of telling.  I'd believe that you'd have similar opportunities from any of these schools.

If it really does boil down to a regional thing, then you'd be much better of at either one of the NorCal schools.  You said you were a big family person; if that's the case, then if you're at a NorCal school, you'll still be able to drive/fly home every once in awhile for a weekend.  That is a luxury I don't have because I'm sufficiently far enough that the cost of a plane ticket would be ridiculously too much for a weekend (and, obviously, driving is not an option).

I wouldn't focus on rankings, but focus more on location, where you feel more comfortable (as in, which school just gives you that warm fuzzy feeling), and cost of attendance.  I think you're primary focus should be on keeping costs down.

Pennsylvania and New Jersey are amazingly different than California.  Trust me, you don't want to leave.  good luck.

espanol

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 08:37:17 PM »
thanks for the feedback guys.  Changed Name, I was offered a $5000 renewable scholarship, I am attending law school PT and cost of attendance for McGeorge is roughtly $23,000.  If you don't mind me asking what school do you currently attend?  I definitely agree with your opinions on moving, but like you I feel Temple is too good to pass up.  I plan on visiting Philly in a month to tour the campus and see the city.  Maybe then I can make a final assessment of where I want to be.  USF seems like a no brainer, but I'm concerned about their ranking falling this year.  Any thoughts on why USF dropped out of the Top 100?

haulin_oats

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 08:51:52 PM »
I'm a current Temple student if you have any questions. You should definitely note that Temple is a strong regional school, especially within Philly, and it might be difficult for you to find a job in SoCal unless you have good contacts.

With regards to the trial advocacy and legal writing program. Every school has these courses, and I honestly can't imagine how one is much better/different than another. My Trial course has been great, but mostly because I was lucky and got stuck with a District Court judge as instructor. My Legal Writing instructor, on the other hand, didn't give a *&^% about teaching us. Regardless, one thing I've discovered working last summer and watching various court proceedings is that I'm already a better writer and advocate than most practicing lawyers, and that's not me bragging, that's the scary reality.

1Lin09hopeful

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 04:01:23 PM »
Temple.

Temple is a far better school than any of the others you listed. USF and Pacific-McGeorge are far from SoCal. I visited Pacific-McGeorge this past summer and liked it well enough...but I talked with a recent grad who was there studying for the bar and I can still picture him as he said to me "Go to the top school you get into, regardless of the price". And while I don't necessarily suggest taking that advice to the "t", it does show a recent Pacific grad who is clearly frustrated in his job search. He went there over a much higher ranked school because of the scholarship he received, and he definitely did not seem pleased with the decision. In other words, Pacific (and likely USF) will probably be just as hard, if not harder, to get a job in SoCal as it would be from Temple.

And Rutgers-Newark....well it's in Newark. I realize Temple is in North Philly, but it's still better than Newark. Depending on where in NJ your family is, you may be closer to them being at Temple anyway.

Temple is generally considered among the top public law schools in the country, and is always listed as one of the top bargain schools. A drawback is definitely its location...don't get me wrong, Philly is great (its my hometown), but the area where Temple is can be fairly rough and it's definitely very different from majority of SoCal (unless you're in LA).

Myself, I'm still waiting to hear from Temple. Don't know if that's a good or a bad thing...but if I got in I'd likely be going there.

Best of luck in your decision. And I definitely encourage you visiting Temple (and the other schools) before putting your seat deposit down. It could make up your mind for you.
I'm doing it because the fortune in the fortune cookie told me to.

hastings1L

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 07:10:53 PM »
Hello LS Discussion Folks,

So I am a SoCal resident with a slight preference for staying local (I am a big family person), but I am open to relocating.  That said, I have a couple of solid options on my plate that have upcoming seat deposits due.  My four top choices are Temple, Rutgers-Newark, USF, and Pacific-McGeorge.  I am big on going to a school with top notch trial advocacy and legal writing, and would be a open to a move to Philly (Temple).  Pacific-McGeorge is appealing because they offering me scholarship money which is hard to pass on.  Lastly, USF and Rutgers-Newark are in the mix because I have several family members in both San Francisco and New Jersey. 

Given my situation what do you guys think is my top prospect?

Temple if your down for the move, USF if not.  The others should not be considered.

espanol

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 07:20:27 PM »
out of curiosity what made you rule out rutgers and pacific-mcgeorge?

Moe Zhust

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 06:21:19 PM »
With regards to the trial advocacy and legal writing program. Every school has these courses, and I honestly can't imagine how one is much better/different than another. .... My Legal Writing instructor ... didn't give a poo about teaching us.

The difference, of course, is that at some schools the legal writing program is a focus, not an afterthought, and the profs are very devoted.  USF is such a school.  Legal Writing is graded here, which means the students take it as seriously as the profs.