Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: FSU v. UF  (Read 4547 times)

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: FSU v. UF
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2009, 04:39:02 PM »

The two really are similar in pretty much every regard.

I think UF has higher median GPA/LSAT and it also have better employment rate/starting salary. 

FSU and UF have the same median and 75% LSAT, and FSU is 2 points higher at the 25%. UF has higher GPAs across the board, but only by .05, .1, and .14 at the 75%, median, and 25%, respectively.

FSU reports 93.9% of grads employed 9 months after graduation, UF reports 91.7%.

FSU's bar passage is 10% higher (88% v. 78%).

FSU received about 500 more applications last year than UF, despite having about 500 fewer students enrolled (over all 3 years).

I'm not touching starting salary, as those numbers are gamed to *&^% and considered unreliable by pretty much everyone.

UF's endowment, for what it's worth, is about twice as big as FSU's.

FSU has grads employed in 16 states from last year, UF has grads in 18 states.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2009, 06:14:13 PM »

FSU and UF have the same median and 75% LSAT, and FSU is 2 points higher at the 25%. UF has higher GPAs across the board, but only by .05, .1, and .14 at the 75%, median, and 25%, respectively.

What are the actual numbers. 

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2009, 06:29:32 PM »

What are the actual numbers. 

Oh, I noticed one error, UF's 75% GPA is actually .06 higher, not .05.

But anyway, since you're apparently unaware of the guide (officialguide.lsac.org/)...

FSU

75% GPA 3.77
Median GPA 3.55
25% GPA 3.30
75% LSAT 162
Median LSAT 160
25% LSAT 158

UF

75% GPA 3.83
Median GPA 3.65
25% GPA 3.44
75% LSAT 162
Median LSAT 160
25% LSAT 156

gatornation

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2009, 06:30:05 PM »
Eh, I've got a friend considering the same thing, and I'll tell you the same thing I told him. I grew up around a lot of lawyers in Florida, and none of them (even the FSU fans) will tell you FSU has the same reputation Florida does. As you say, Florida is the top school in the state, and regardless of what U.S. news says my anecdotal evidence suggests it's not really that close.  You can ignore my user name, since I obviously didn't stay at UF for law school.  The scholarship makes it a much closer call.. I would say definitely go with FSU because of the money, but low cost of in state law school in Florida makes it less of a factor.  I would just go with whichever school seems like a better fit... people grossly undervalue the lifestyle aspect of selecting a law school.  I think FSU law is a lot smaller than Levin? (most schools are)
Vanderbilt Law Class of '11

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2009, 06:42:45 PM »
Eh, I've got a friend considering the same thing, and I'll tell you the same thing I told him. I grew up around a lot of lawyers in Florida, and none of them (even the FSU fans) will tell you FSU has the same reputation Florida does. As you say, Florida is the top school in the state, and regardless of what U.S. news says my anecdotal evidence suggests it's not really that close.  You can ignore my user name, since I obviously didn't stay at UF for law school.  The scholarship makes it a much closer call.. I would say definitely go with FSU because of the money, but low cost of in state law school in Florida makes it less of a factor.  I would just go with whichever school seems like a better fit... people grossly undervalue the lifestyle aspect of selecting a law school.  I think FSU law is a lot smaller than Levin? (most schools are)

Depending on where in Florida you grow up, you'll get vastly different opinions of which school is best. If you grew up in Tallahassee, you'd probably think the exact opposite based on the strong FSU bias here. If I didn't know better, I'd think UF was on par with Stetson or Nova based on what I hear here, and no one really ever talks about Miami. Even Stetson gets great word of mouth in it's area... and that's the funny thing about anecdotal evidence, it's functionally worthless.

FSU is about 500 people smaller.

dennycrane

• Sr. Citizen
  • My Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2009, 09:54:34 PM »

UF and FSU are pretty much on par in the state.

Flat out wrong. UF >> FSU. However, FSU + Full Scholarship > UF + no scholarship. I don't go to either school, but have looked for jobs Florida, so no bias, just experience.

I agree.  But, based on the situation where he is offered full scholarship, but has to in the upper 45%-40% of the class at FSU, do you think he should go to FSU or UF?

That is a tough call. Well, I would take the scholarship and use that as motivation to bust my butt. However, if the OP does not make the top 40-45% at FSU, they probably would not have done much better at UF, and being in the bottom half at either school is not a desirable place to be. So I would take my chances at FSU.

Emory 3L.

dennycrane

• Sr. Citizen
  • My Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2009, 10:01:36 PM »

Depending on where in Florida you grow up, you'll get vastly different opinions of which school is best. If you grew up in Tallahassee, you'd probably think the exact opposite based on the strong FSU bias here. If I didn't know better, I'd think UF was on par with Stetson or Nova based on what I hear here, and no one really ever talks about Miami. Even Stetson gets great word of mouth in it's area... and that's the funny thing about anecdotal evidence, it's functionally worthless.

FSU is about 500 people smaller.

Your dedication to your law school is commendable. However, the reality is UF Law >> FSU Law. Numbers and football don't matter, it is all about reputation. When you start looking for your SA position you will learn this very quickly.
Emory 3L.

BeeBopBooBop

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2009, 10:12:53 PM »
Burn.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2009, 10:15:19 PM »
Your dedication to your law school is commendable. However, the reality is UF Law >> FSU Law. Numbers and football don't matter, it is all about reputation. When you start looking for your SA position you will learn this very quickly.

That "when" is right now and he is indeed having problem getting a summer offer or an interview. 

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2009, 11:42:54 PM »

That "when" is right now and he is indeed having problem getting a summer offer or an interview. 

Having a problem? female dog please, I haven't even started looking. There is a world of difference.