Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: FSU v. UF  (Read 4320 times)

untamedecho

• View Profile
FSU v. UF
« on: March 21, 2009, 04:38:44 PM »
Ok so I know this has been debated before but I need some input. I was accepted to both UF and FSU, but FSU has offered me a full scholarship. I know that UF is the best school in Florida (I plan on practicing there after I graduate), but is it really worth spending an extra $40,000 over?

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: FSU v. UF
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 06:01:22 PM »
Ok so I know this has been debated before but I need some input. I was accepted to both UF and FSU, but FSU has offered me a full scholarship. I know that UF is the best school in Florida (I plan on practicing there after I graduate), but is it really worth spending an extra $40,000 over?

Full scholarship is only 40K for three years?  Are you instate?  Do you have to have certain GPA to keep the full scholarship?

I have said this before, UF is the best law school in Florida, but it's not worth $40K over FSU.  FSU+FullScholarhips > UF 

untamedecho

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 08:51:55 PM »
I am instate. You need an 82 average and I believe the curve is at 79, so I don't know if that's too terrible but I've been told by students that if you're willing to work hard an 82 is totatlly doable. Thanks for your input. Anyone else?

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 09:30:50 PM »
I am instate. You need an 82 average and I believe the curve is at 79, so I don't know if that's too terrible but I've been told by students that if you're willing to work hard an 82 is totatlly doable. Thanks for your input. Anyone else?

So, you have to be in the top 50%?  Maybe even 40%? 

Virtually EVERYONE in law school think they will be on top of the class, but someone will be at the bottom half and bottom 25%. 

This is not that easy.  So, no matter what, you will get 1/6 X $40K, right?  That's 6K-7K?   

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 11:08:55 PM »
Take FSU.

UF and FSU are pretty much on par in the state. Them + Miami = the 3 best schools in the state, there is no clear cut winner.

The curve median is actually 79-81 (or 82, I forget). It's doable, but there's a 1 in 2 chance you won't make it. Still, you'll have a year free if nothing else, so it's still worth it.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 11:23:47 PM »
Take FSU.

UF and FSU are pretty much on par in the state. Them + Miami = the 3 best schools in the state, there is no clear cut winner.

The curve median is actually 79-81 (or 82, I forget). It's doable, but there's a 1 in 2 chance you won't make it. Still, you'll have a year free if nothing else, so it's still worth it.

The above poster is bias, because attends FSU.

I don't think he will get one year free for sure.  It's probably like 1 semester guaranteed. 

dennycrane

• Sr. Citizen
  • My Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009, 11:51:48 PM »

UF and FSU are pretty much on par in the state.

Flat out wrong. UF >> FSU. However, FSU + Full Scholarship > UF + no scholarship. I don't go to either school, but have looked for jobs Florida, so no bias, just experience.

Emory 3L.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009, 12:37:24 AM »

Flat out wrong. UF >> FSU. However, FSU + Full Scholarship > UF + no scholarship. I don't go to either school, but have looked for jobs Florida, so no bias, just experience.

I agree.  But, based on the situation where he is offered full scholarship, but has to in the upper 45%-40% of the class at FSU, do you think he should go to FSU or UF?

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2009, 12:45:09 AM »

Much as I preach otherwise, it really doesn't come down to recent football success.

The two really are similar in pretty much every regard.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2009, 03:28:33 PM »

The two really are similar in pretty much every regard.

I think UF has higher median GPA/LSAT and it also have better employment rate/starting salary.