;

Poll

Which School Would you Choose?

Suffolk
 8 (57.1%)
Albany
 6 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: Albany Law School v Suffolk University  (Read 3435 times)

tjperry

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Albany Law School v Suffolk University
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2009, 04:15:38 AM »
go suffolk
boston is amazing....NY is great for a week or two and then...not so much

yuanli12

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2010, 05:36:17 PM »
The benefit to Albany over Suffolk, I feel, comes down to "job market opportunities".  Boston obviously has a bigger job market, but the real question is the job market for who (student or a jd), and who are the major players in that market.

As a student, the best way to better market yourself for a job after graduation is to have a resume that has actual legal experience you gained during law school (duh).  Boston, although a bigger market, has much more competition from all the area law schools that surround Boston.  Albany, although less total # of opportunities than Boston, only has Albany law students competing for those internships/externships/ judiical internships/etc.

My vote: Albany.  When you have over 500 jb candidates in a grade at Suffolk plus all the other area schools competing for jobs during school, the likelihood of getting valuable experience decreases substantially.  I feel that Suffolk's degree is water-down in a sense since there are so many candidates competing for those out-of-school opporutunities. 

financial--all things being the same, albany's living expenses are much lower than boston. i.e. housing Albany you can get a 1 bedroom apt for 800/month whereas Boston is closer to 1200 for a comparable 1 bedroom (and if your not living in Boston, then why go to a "boston" school).

Where you make your final choice is obviously a big investment (time and money) and you should go where you think the opportunities are the best for you (academically within the school and outside of the school).

On a side note--firms use GPA/USnews ranking to qualify/disqualify a hopeful candidate.  After that it comes down to your individual work product and references.  I am firm believer that getting solid references outside of school are better than having professors provide recommendations/references since profs are more invested in putting their students in good positions(greater bias) than a 1 or 2 semester supervisor will be since they most likely wont see your face again and have no motivation for providing a poor (or accurate) referral.

Consider it, but again, I'd say Albany Law since both schools on paper are similar, however, Albany as a city provides many more opportunities than the larger Boston market does to Suffolk students.

big east boy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2010, 11:00:37 AM »
I vote Albany
reasons:
It has a lower cost of living.
Less competition. 5 Boston schools, plus t14, plus huge class sizes at suffolk = saturated market.
Albany owns the capitol district/hudson valley area.
NYC is better than boston (albany only couple hours from manhattan).
lastly, because UPSTATE IS f-ing AWESOME!!!!

michel7more

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2010, 02:04:45 AM »
Heard a lot about Suffolk University...The main thing is its network which is going to help a lot..