;

Poll

Which School Would you Choose?

Suffolk
 8 (57.1%)
Albany
 6 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: Albany Law School v Suffolk University  (Read 3592 times)

hsc2009

• View Profile
Albany Law School v Suffolk University
« on: March 21, 2009, 03:51:28 PM »
Hello, this is my first post on the forum. I have been accepted to a few law schools for the coming year, but so far my decision has come down to Suffolk University or Albany Law School. Both schools have offered me full tuition scholarships, provided I maintain a 3.0 GPA. Does anyone have any insight about either of these schools that would help me decide? Thanks in advance for any advice!

Remarq

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Albany Law School v Suffolk University
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 03:53:31 PM »
Boston is larger legal market than Albany. Unless you want to work in NY state government I'd go with Suffolk.

hsc2009

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 03:56:26 PM »
Boston is larger legal market than Albany. Unless you want to work in NY state government I'd go with Suffolk.

This is one of the concerns that I have about Albany. While I wouldn't mind staying in upstate NY, I would prefer to work for a private firm. Does anyone know if Albany places a good amount of people in private practice?

Remarq

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 05:00:25 PM »
It doesn't look like it. Albany is all the way down on the first page: http://www.law.com/img/nlj/charts/composite.pdf According to this, and this is a few years old form when the economy was better, they only put about 38% in private practice. But if you look on page 6 suffolk's about the same so who knows.

Eagles41

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 01:53:07 PM »
Suffolk has a great network! Go Suffolk no question about it!

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 02:23:02 AM »
Albany.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

MalachiConstant

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 11:26:04 PM »

This is one of the concerns that I have about Albany. While I wouldn't mind staying in upstate NY, I would prefer to work for a private firm. Does anyone know if Albany places a good amount of people in private practice?

Boston does have a larger legal market but it also has five more law schools than Albany. Having said that, I would still go for Suffolk just because Boston is a great city (though I'v never been to Albany, it does seem kind of small-town). I live in Boston and would have go to Suffolk had they offered me money. Albany did offer me quite a bit of money (which made me think Suffolk was kind of stingy), so I am going there.

iamprov

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2009, 12:54:04 PM »
I go to Albany and like it very much.  Mind you, I'm interested in state govt work (DA's office).  I'd say the education you'll get is equivalent, and FWIW, I think they're both underrated schools.  If you can handle the increased COL and being in a wash of law students, go with Suffolk.  Students that do well at Suffolk generally get some private offers, and it does well in Rhode Island as well.  If you are interested in having great opportunities because you're in the only law school in the area, go with Albany. 
Albany Law School Class of 2010

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2009, 06:02:08 PM »
What are the respective curves?

3.0 at albany might not be the same as a 3.0 at suffolk.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

cs0620

• Sr. Citizen
  • Not sure what decade to live in...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 02:32:40 PM »
How is the financial aid and placement of the grads?  Does one match up better than another?  I'd use that to help my decision.

As far as the schools by themselves, try Suffolk, but be prepared for the infamous Boston cost of living.
The Chinese use two brush strokes to write the word 'crisis.' One brush stroke stands for danger; the other for opportunity. In a crisis, be aware of the danger - but recognize the opportunity.

John F. Kennedy