Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How to prep for a non biglaw interview?  (Read 941 times)

MiamiLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
How to prep for a non biglaw interview?
« on: March 19, 2009, 05:12:38 PM »
I have had a few interviews so far, but all of them have been biglaw interviews.  I have an interview tomorrow with a real estate firm, specifically for the foreclosure practice.  I am used to prepping for corporate law firms and gearing my end of interview questions towards that, and I am not really sure how to handle a "normal" law interview that isn't OCI or at a biglaw firm.  Right now I was planning to ask them "What qualities do the most successful law clerks at your firm usually have?  Other than asking them about how the economy has affected their practice (for the better or for the worst), I am not sure what else to do to prepare.

I checked out their website already and it is minimal, just very basic superficial information stating that they are a full service real estate firm that focuses on the commercial end, but doesn't get anymore specific then that.  Thanks!

LawSchoolAuthority

• View Profile
    • Law School Authority
    • Email
Re: How to prep for a non biglaw interview?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 05:29:13 PM »
ATL recently did a two part story for laid off biglaw attys interview for small firm jobs.  While it does not all apply to your situation, a couple points may be useful. 

part I
http://abovethelaw.com/2009/03/interview_tips_biglaw_to_small.php

and part II

http://abovethelaw.com/2009/03/interview_tips_biglaw_to_small_1.php

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 08:02:40 PM »
Those ATL tips can be helpful (although for the most part, they're all pretty common sense).

Generally, the prep is the same for any job interview. You need to be prepared to talk about your resume and your accomplishments, have something semi-prepared for the typical interview questions (what's your weakness, strengths, etc.), and know all about the firm and be able to discuss why you think you're a good fit.

M_Cool

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 08:57:03 PM »
I was sort of thrown off when I went to a smaller firm and just assumed that I'd be meeting with one or two people.. I got there and they had like 8 people in the room (2 of whom weren't even attorneys).  They asked me the most bizarre questions.  I just felt weird as hell about it afterward. 

lyre

• brightly burns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 09:49:15 AM »
In my experience, smaller firms ask more "why us?" questions than larger firms.  I had two small/mid-size firms ask me what other firms I was considering, which I thought was pretty awkward.  I just glossed over with an answer like, "I'm keeping my options open at this point, but what about your firm makes it unique?" and turned it around on them.  LOL

NYC3L

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 11:47:11 AM »
I have had a few interviews so far, but all of them have been biglaw interviews.  I have an interview tomorrow with a real estate firm, specifically for the foreclosure practice.  I am used to prepping for corporate law firms and gearing my end of interview questions towards that, and I am not really sure how to handle a "normal" law interview that isn't OCI or at a biglaw firm.  Right now I was planning to ask them "What qualities do the most successful law clerks at your firm usually have?  Other than asking them about how the economy has affected their practice (for the better or for the worst), I am not sure what else to do to prepare.

I checked out their website already and it is minimal, just very basic superficial information stating that they are a full service real estate firm that focuses on the commercial end, but doesn't get anymore specific then that.  Thanks!

Are you going to be forclosing on homes? If so, how do you plan to live with yourself?

uh huh.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 01:25:07 PM »

Are you going to be forclosing on homes? If so, how do you plan to live with yourself?

Dear god, you must be one of those neo-lib NYU nutjobs. Did you ever hear of the law of CONTRACT? As in . . .  if you fail to repay a bank loan secured by your home, the bank may foreclose on that home pursuant to the CONTRACT you supposedly READ AND SIGNED.

bl825

• Sr. Citizen
  • There are just so many reasons to smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 04:48:29 PM »

Dear god, you must be one of those neo-lib NYU nutjobs. Did you ever hear of the law of CONTRACT? As in . . .  if you fail to repay a bank loan secured by your home, the bank may foreclose on that home pursuant to the CONTRACT you supposedly READ AND SIGNED.

What exactly is a neo-lib?  ???

In terms of preparation, I would have more questions ready.  Maybe ask for examples of work that junior law clerks have done recently.
Oh yea...you're delicious and lean, but unsustainable and not to be consumed daily.

NYC3L

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 06:39:23 PM »

woah... neo-lib. sounds dangerous. Fortunately, since housing prices will never decline, we can inflate-foreclose-re-sell our way to a brighter future! How could this go wrong!!!