Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: T4 transfer to T2/T1  (Read 5638 times)

Sean104

• View Profile
Re: T4 transfer to T2/T1
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 04:52:53 PM »
I'm in a similar situation.  I plan on attending a T4 next fall as a 1L and am considering transferring. 

However, I've been accepted into Officer Candidate School with the Marine Corps under a law contract, which guarantees a position as a Judge Advocate once I graduate law school and pass the bar.  With this gig lined up, it really doesn't matter what school I go to.

As I consider my employment prospects after my service obligation if I do leave the USMC, I have a feeling that my school's reputation will follow me into the civilian sector (private and government).  Is this feeling on mark?  With that, would a transfer to a T1/2 be worth the trouble?     

k0em9u

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 07:34:00 PM »
Well, like with any profession, school name means less and less the further away from graduation you get; what you have produced in your career becomes important. That being said, school prestige is never a bad thing. If you spend several years in JAG, that is pretty valuable. (Yet, a considerable number of people in the legal world seems to have grievances with JAG based on their homosexual policies. Not sure if this would hurt you in your career though, I never considered JAG myself so didn't look much into it).

And, again, I just have to reiterate what so many have said - planning on a transfer before you are even in law school is, sorry to say, ridiculous. The chances of being at a class rank where you would have a chance of transferring into a good school are slim. Everyone in your class, "even at at tier 4", are going to be bright, hardworking people. They all feel like they deserve they could be in the top 10%, and to be fair, the difference between an A and a C in law school is nothing at all like it was in undergrad. It's a close call, and you're really not going to have any idea where you are until first semester grades are in.
Sue me female dog, I know a lawyer.

k0em9u

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2009, 09:22:01 PM »
The last part of what you are saying is definitely true. Do not believe that a T4 school is a walk in the park compared to a T1 school. Law school is going to be tough, no matter where you go.

And if you interpreted what I said to mean it's impossible to transfer out of a T4 school then you misunderstood me. If you end up being number 1 in your class, you do of course have very good chances of transferring. However, the chance of ending up as number 1 in your class isn't something you're going to want to bet your life savings on.

mnewboldc

• View Profile
    • No Record Press
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2009, 09:33:03 PM »
All things equal, think about it this way: #1 in a T4 class might get you into Cornell/GULC. #1 in a T2 class might get you into HYS.
Cornell 2011

k0em9u

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2009, 09:34:15 PM »
And, being #94 in either class will keep you staying right where you are.

widennumber2

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2009, 09:59:52 PM »
My stoic advice post:

Work hard don't let other people tell you that you can't do something.

But also don't go to any school thinking you are exceptional.  Statistically speaking the odds that you will be in the top 10% are.... uhh... 1 in 10...

I'm not saying that you have to be content with wherever you chose to go initially.  Just don't deceive yourself into thinking that there is no way you won't be in the top 10%.  Law school is hard and a lot of very smart people do poorly for a wide range of reasons.

That being said, if you stay humble and keep your nose to the grindstone you'll be alright.

k0em9u

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2009, 10:01:04 PM »
Top 10% at at tier 4 will do you no good. Top 5% maybe.

Sean104

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2009, 03:13:06 PM »
Nice advice fellas, but I think my original question was misunderstood. 

I was wondering if transferring is worth the time and energy, given my particular circumstance, i.e., job lined up after graduation, and potentially moving to the civilian sector after I'm done with JAG (granted I want to leave)?  It sounds like school reputation never hurts and only really matters in what type of practice someone is involved in. 

I'm aware of what it takes to make that transfer happen, though I think its beyond the scope of what I'm trying to figure out at this time

???

widennumber2

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2009, 04:34:36 PM »

I was wondering if transferring is worth the time and energy, given my particular circumstance, i.e., job lined up after graduation, and potentially moving to the civilian sector after I'm done with JAG (granted I want to leave)?  It sounds like school reputation never hurts and only really matters in what type of practice someone is involved in. 

I'm aware of what it takes to make that transfer happen, though I think its beyond the scope of what I'm trying to figure out at this time

???

I personally can't answer the question too precisely because I have no idea how sought after JAG officers are in the private sector.  If being a JAG is highly valued then maybe the T-4 factor won't hurt you so much.

From my understanding of your circumstances, money is not a concern here (JAG pays for it all right?).  In that case i think it would be especially worth the time and effort to transfer to a T1/2 if you are planning on entering the private sector.  I mean, obviously this is all contingent on what you want to do.  Because right now we are talking about maybe leaving the military to go into something in the private sector, which is pretty vague.  For example, i would imagine that after going through a JAG program you would be very employable at countless government jobs (DA's, public defenders, etc.).  However if you are talking about getting into firm-life, i would guess that transferring would be more than worth your time and effort.

As a general rule of thumb, transferring up from a T-4 can only help.  The main concern in that situation, i think, would be the fact that you are paying full price.  because that is not a concern for you, i'd say transfer. 

But then again, I have no idea.  Why don't you contact a current or former JAG officer?

k0em9u

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2009, 04:48:16 PM »

???

Oh, yeah in that case we (or at least I) misunderstood. I would say an absolute definite yes to a T1 transfer if possible. T2 becomes a bit more of a judgment call since those are not going to be national schools either.