Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: T4 transfer to T2/T1  (Read 1027 times)

cconnoll

• AOL Instant Messenger - tgrdbsktprep31
    • View Profile
    • Email
T4 transfer to T2/T1
« on: March 19, 2009, 02:20:33 PM »

Iv Gotten a lot of feedback from this site. appreciate all of it!

I'm debating between Whittier (11,200 scholarship) or Cal Western (no scholarship).......I plan to be at the top of my class and transfer (I know I know, everyone who plans on attending T4 schools plans to transfer, and I understand that it will not be easy).
If any of you knew that you would not be retaking the LSAT again (154), which school would you attend based on the premise of being top 10-15% of class and seeking to transfer to:

UC-HASTINGS
UC-DAVIS
BERKLEY
UCLA
USD
ASU
possibly USC, STANFORD

Also, I understand that alot of 1L's @ T4's go in with the idea of transferring, does this mean that your average T4 1L class  could have very stiff competition in terms of GPA, considering that sooo many students are looking to pull off 4.0 GPA in hopes of transferring. Even stiff-enough competition to be on par with T3's? T2's?

ANY feedback is much appreciated  :mrgreen:

MSP1

• View Profile
Re: T4 transfer to T2/T1
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 01:36:44 PM »
Just looking at your list of hopefuls and considering the difficulty of transferring up, I'd be thrilled with San Diego or ASU and absolutely ecstatic with Hasting or Davis.  Being realistic is important, and I think you are.  Good luck.

espanol

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 08:44:59 PM »
I posted on your other thread, but knowing that you received a scholarship from Whittier, I would take the free money from Whittier over Cal Western.  Building on realism, law school is going to be a huge financial burden, and it seems that you have your mind set on transferring so why not save some money in the process and go with Whittier.  I have worked in a couple Costa Mesa firms, and if plans don't pan out Whittier can still get you some job prospects in or around orange county.  First hand, I have a cousin of mine that transferred from Whittier to U of Illinois.  Cal Western and Whittier are pretty much the same, the scholarship money would tip the scale to Whittier (for me at least).

contrapositive

• Sr. Citizen
  • "your power was given to you"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 07:49:31 PM »
Also, consider which T4 school is a better fit for you in case you do not transfer.

I transferred from a T4 to a T2(70s).  I finished number one in my class, but I NEVER felt like I had "mastered" the material;  Law school is so completely different that I think it is worthless to plan on finishing at the top; instead, plan on committing yourself (100%) to learning the material (a lot of trial and error first semester).  Then, you should be in good shape.  But, do not get discouraged if you don't do as well as you "plan." 

Also, be careful not to get sucked into others study habits. This will be tempting b/c you are going to make some great friends your first year.

Anyway, grades are, IMO, pretty much the key to a successful transfer. 

Some other things to watch out for, some T4 schools "grade" harder, harder than T1/T2; maybe to keep transfers low, but I don't know.

Good Luck!