Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Making a deposit at more than one school  (Read 3499 times)

amensupremera

• View Profile
    • Email
Making a deposit at more than one school
« on: March 19, 2009, 12:48:42 PM »
If you're undecided or if your waiting for other schools, are there any problems with sending deposits to more than one school to hold your seats until you make your final decision.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
Re: Making a deposit at more than one school
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 01:05:27 PM »
If you're undecided or if your waiting for other schools, are there any problems with sending deposits to more than one school to hold your seats until you make your final decision.

Other than cost, not really
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

amensupremera

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 06:31:56 PM »

Other than cost, not really
Thank You

Bevo06

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 02:59:09 PM »
There IS a problem with putting down a deposit at more than one school.

As of June 2008 LSAC began reporting if an accepted student had put down more than one deposit on a school. Law schools have the right to revoke your acceptance now if you put down more than one deposit.

If I were you I'd make up your mind before someone else does it for you.

Good luck!

I quote from LSAC:

Multiple Deposit Notification

Each year, law schools that participate in LSAC's commitment overlap reporting service provide LSAC with information about applicants who have been accepted and have paid a deposit or provided a verbal or written agreement to attend their schools. Each spring, participating law schools receive periodic reports detailing the number of their committed applicants who have submitted seat deposits or commitments at other participating schools, as well as the identification of those other schools. Starting on June 15, 2008, those reports will also include the names and LSAC account numbers for all candidates who have deposits/commitments at multiple participating schools.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 04:04:46 PM »
There IS a problem with putting down a deposit at more than one school.

As of June 2008 LSAC began reporting if an accepted student had put down more than one deposit on a school. Law schools have the right to revoke your acceptance now if you put down more than one deposit.

If I were you I'd make up your mind before someone else does it for you.

Good luck!

I quote from LSAC:

Multiple Deposit Notification

Each year, law schools that participate in LSAC's commitment overlap reporting service provide LSAC with information about applicants who have been accepted and have paid a deposit or provided a verbal or written agreement to attend their schools. Each spring, participating law schools receive periodic reports detailing the number of their committed applicants who have submitted seat deposits or commitments at other participating schools, as well as the identification of those other schools. Starting on June 15, 2008, those reports will also include the names and LSAC account numbers for all candidates who have deposits/commitments at multiple participating schools.

I don’t read that as saying the schools have a right to revoke your acceptance (and even if it did say that, that the schools choice not LSACs). It merely says LSAC will be reporting this info to schools. Additionally its says “have paid a deposit or provided a verbal or written agreement to attend their schools.” Paying and deposit and agreemnt to attend are separated by “or” not “and” (there is a big legal significance between “and” and “or” which you will learn about in your first year).

I certainly think an argument could be made that if your deposit agreement said this was a firm commitment to attend than by placing that deposit you would fit in the former category. It’s been a while since I put down any deposits but I think it was exactly that, a non refundable seat deposit, not a binding commitment to attend (some schools may have this though). I think the best bet it to refer to the wording of the specific schools deposits on if it’s simply a non refundable seat deposit or a binding agreement to attend their school.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.