Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: W&L 3L Taking Questions  (Read 1204 times)

LawSchoolAuthority

• View Profile
    • Law School Authority
    • Email
W&L 3L Taking Questions
« on: March 19, 2009, 08:02:06 AM »
I'm open for questions.

traydeuce

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: W&L 3L Taking Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 12:47:20 PM »
I guess advantages/disadvantages of the third-year program would be a good place to start.

LawSchoolAuthority

• View Profile
    • Law School Authority
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 01:29:28 PM »
First things first, here's a link that describes the program in full -http://www.law.wlu.edu/thirdyear/

From a broad perspective, the new third year program seems like an innovative and creative idea.  As far as typical 3L classes are concerned, they can sometimes be quite mundane, and I believe that the new program has the potential to fill some pretty large gaps.  If you're looking for the advantages, take a look at the link; they're all there. 

However, as of now, I believe there is one significant shortcoming that has not been entirely addressed.  In my experience, the two new practicum courses that I took were not very different than any other law school course I have taken.   I think one of the program's shortcomings, that may be addressed as time goes on, is how the courses are actually taught.  While this clinical and practical approach may be new to students, it cannot be forgotten that it is also new to the faculty.  In my experience, one new third year course that I took was nothing more than a legal writing course with a specific focus (though taught by a leading expert in the field), and the other was a very unstructured survey course taught by a new adjunct with no teaching experience.  However, I would urge you to talk to other 2L and 3L students who have taken these new courses; I know that some have had very good experiences.

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 07:59:37 PM »
I took two litigation-focused practicums last semester, and while there were kinks that we had to work out along the way, I really enjoyed them.  It felt much more like my summer work with a large firm, only I was practicing the work that the associates and partners were doing (instead of just writing memos).

I think the first couple years of implementation will hit some bumps along the way, but overall, the plan is a good one, and the dean will ensure that it's well-executed.  You can only learn so much substantive law in school, and I think getting a jump on the professional learning-curve is much more valuable than another year of lecture classes.
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

Wunda

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 06:02:16 PM »
Alamo and LSA,

Where did you work summers?  What about your classmates?

LawSchoolAuthority

• View Profile
    • Law School Authority
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 07:52:31 PM »
I split with two midsize firms in VA. Students from our class have been all over the place, but my impression is mostly NY/DC/VA/NC.   Alamo may have a better perspective as far as where our class has been/is going. 

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 12:11:09 PM »
I did 1L summer in a small town in the Shenandoah Valley, 2L summer in Boston, and I'm moving to the Boston firm's D.C. branch after my clerkship.

I think Authority is right about where W&L students go; I also know a couple who went to Chicago, a few out west, a couple others in Boston, and a good number in Atlanta.
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

Wunda

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 09:58:21 PM »
Who are you clerking for Alamo?  Congratulations, by the way.

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 11:24:40 PM »
Thanks.  It's a federal district judge in the mid-Atlantic; beyond that I'd rather not say.  But I can say that the application & interview process was unbelievably chaotic.  Good luck with it if you ever decide to go that route.

Wunda

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 11:14:11 PM »
Thanks.  Any tips you can provide to avoid the chaos?  Anything you'd wish you'd known in advance?