Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Transfer potential: Cal Western School of Law  (Read 2222 times)

cconnoll

• AOL Instant Messenger - tgrdbsktprep31
    • View Profile
    • Email
Transfer potential: Cal Western School of Law
« on: March 19, 2009, 12:15:50 AM »

Hey guys. Newbie here, I appreciate the wealth of advice on this site. I'm seeking any advice or suggestions you can offer me. Im a 154, 3.2 poli-sci & business undergrad. I have been accepted to Cal Western (High Attrition, t4, I know) I love San Diego, and California as a whole, however I know my options graduating from Cal Western are concentrated regionally in San Diego.

My question is this; If i can maintain top 15-20% in my class @ Cal Western, what are the realistic possibilities of transferring to into any of these schools either a)full time (mainly what I'm interested in)  b) part-time :

USD,USC,UCLA,STANFORD,UC-HASTINGS,BERKLEY,ASU

I ask because I understand that with such a low GPA, and an less-than-stellar LSAT score, my chances of getting into ASU, or USD are slim (2 schools of which im waiting to hear back from). I believe(am encouraged by the advice given to me by 1l's @ UofO law school- home of my undergrad) that I can rise to the top of my 1l class at Cal Western. I have been an 3.8 student the last two years of my undergrad while working 20+ hours a week. I live in the professors office hours, and I have been absorbing E & E's for 6 months and have been sitting in on UofO law lectures....etc etc. sorry to bore you with the details, these are simply the reasons for which I believe I may be able to excel.

Thanks for the advice!   Grin

UnbelievablyTired

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Transfer potential: Cal Western School of Law
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 03:55:23 PM »
there is an 80-85% chance that you wont be in the top 15-20% of the class. remember that.  i know its said often, but you would do very well to remember that.  everyone is smart in law school.  smarter than most of your friends, who im sure all think you are very bright.  good luck though.

santropez

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 05:38:45 PM »

Hey guys. Newbie here, I appreciate the wealth of advice on this site. I'm seeking any advice or suggestions you can offer me. Im a 154, 3.2 poli-sci & business undergrad. I have been accepted to Cal Western (High Attrition, t4, I know) I love San Diego, and California as a whole, however I know my options graduating from Cal Western are concentrated regionally in San Diego.

My question is this; If i can maintain top 15-20% in my class @ Cal Western, what are the realistic possibilities of transferring to into any of these schools either a)full time (mainly what I'm interested in)  b) part-time :

I ask because I understand that with such a low GPA, and an less-than-stellar LSAT score, my chances of getting into ASU, or USD are slim (2 schools of which im waiting to hear back from). I believe(am encouraged by the advice given to me by 1l's @ UofO law school- home of my undergrad) that I can rise to the top of my 1l class at Cal Western. I have been an 3.8 student the last two years of my undergrad while working 20+ hours a week. I live in the professors office hours, and I have been absorbing E & E's for 6 months and have been sitting in on UofO law lectures....etc etc. sorry to bore you with the details, these are simply the reasons for which I believe I may be able to excel.

Assuming you were to be top 15% or so (top 20% is cutting it close):

Decent Shot: USD, ASU, Hastings

Highly Unlikely: USC, UCLA

Pretty much Impossible: Stanford, Berkeley

Look, I know you don't want to hear this, but this is my advice to you: do not go to law school unless you can raise your LSAT significantly.  Take it from me, I transferred from a T4 to a T20 (rejected at a few T14s), and I was in the top 2% of my class.  Getting great grades at a T4 is not only hard, but also unpredictable, and in this economy (especially in the Californian economy, with its 10% unemployment rate), it's just not worth it to take the risk of going to a T4.

You probably really want to go to law school, so I can't fault you for being tenacious about this (as is evidenced by your multiple threads on here).  But just step back for a second and think about what life would be like if you were top 1/3 or so at a T4 and you couldn't transfer out.  When you say, "I know my options graduating from Cal Western are concentrated regionally in San Diego," it shows me that you're missing the point.  You may not have any options coming from a T4 in CA.  Seriously. 

LawSchoolAuthority

• View Profile
    • Law School Authority
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 05:51:00 PM »
cconnoll, I sent you a PM.

bradley

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 07:02:47 PM »

Assuming you were to be top 15% or so (top 20% is cutting it close):

Decent Shot: USD, ASU, Hastings

Highly Unlikely: USC, UCLA

Pretty much Impossible: Stanford, Berkeley

Look, I know you don't want to hear this, but this is my advice to you: do not go to law school unless you can raise your LSAT significantly.  Take it from me, I transferred from a T4 to a T20 (rejected at a few T14s), and I was in the top 2% of my class.  Getting great grades at a T4 is not only hard, but also unpredictable, and in this economy (especially in the Californian economy, with its 10% unemployment rate), it's just not worth it to take the risk of going to a T4.

You probably really want to go to law school, so I can't fault you for being tenacious about this (as is evidenced by your multiple threads on here).  But just step back for a second and think about what life would be like if you were top 1/3 or so at a T4 and you couldn't transfer out.  When you say, "I know my options graduating from Cal Western are concentrated regionally in San Diego," it shows me that you're missing the point.  You may not have any options coming from a T4 in CA.  Seriously. 

Can I ask you what your LSAT was?  I am a 1L at a school that floats between T2 and T3, who had a 160 LSAT, and will likely be ranked in the top 1-2%.  What are my possibilities?  Is T10 anywhere near possible?