Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: So confused...so stressed. blah. please help  (Read 3077 times)

kennedyposter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
So confused...so stressed. blah. please help
« on: March 19, 2009, 12:03:17 AM »
I just don't know what to do! First of all, American's FAFSA deadline said March 1st and I didn't fill mine out until March 4th...no excuses, i'm just a fool. Does this mean I'm not going to get aid??? Also when the hell do I find out what aid I got??? Am I so far behind? I haven't even taken out any private loans either! i don't have any money in savings or anything...I literally need to be able to pay rent, food, and everything with loans. What do I do? How do I get them? Does FAFSA loan any of this out? I'm so confused.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: So confused...so stressed. blah. please help
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 12:08:00 AM »
Call American tomorrow.  The deadline was likely institutional and will not prevent you from getting aid.

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 12:01:51 PM »
You need to meet (on phone or in person) with a financial aid counselor at one or two of your top choices.  Few people on here (no offense to botbot) are qualified to answer all of these questions for you.
Quote from: Lionel Hutz, Esq.
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."

m1ss_uNdeRst00d

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 11:20:07 AM »
I just don't know what to do! First of all, American's FAFSA deadline said March 1st and I didn't fill mine out until March 4th...no excuses, i'm just a fool. Does this mean I'm not going to get aid??? Also when the hell do I find out what aid I got??? Am I so far behind? I haven't even taken out any private loans either! i don't have any money in savings or anything...I literally need to be able to pay rent, food, and everything with loans. What do I do? How do I get them? Does FAFSA loan any of this out? I'm so confused.

How much is your law school tuition? The federal limit on stafford loans for grad school is $20,500 per year. Chances are you will not be able to pay for anything besides your tuition with that aid. You'll need to take out private loans, which are hard to get in this market, especially if your tuition is covered by govt loans.
UB Law 2012

redcement

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 10:12:04 PM »
After your Stafford (and for some Perkins) you can take out GradPlus loans, which are not private. They cover cost of living expenses, up to the amount your school says the COA is. Check this board for lots of helpful info on GradPlus.