Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Choosing in the south..  (Read 1198 times)

jaustinstokes

• View Profile
    • Email
Choosing in the south..
« on: March 18, 2009, 09:42:32 PM »
I am in at Univ of Tenn, Ole MS,Univ of Ark, Samford and Memphis and waiting on Vandy and Bama. I live in Tn so instate $$$ is a plus. If i dont get in the last 2 which is my best option and why?

rabbitz

• View Profile
Re: Choosing in the south..
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 10:26:07 PM »
Tennessee - best reputation, plus in-state tuition, great connections in TN, and Knoxville is just beautiful.

SwampFox

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 10:28:35 PM »
Where do you want to practice?  In your home state, in the same geographical area (south Central), or someplace completely different?

jaustinstokes

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 12:08:46 AM »
I would like to stay around my area. Does the tier stuff really matter? I just don't understand why UT would be so much better than Miss. Someone even told me that if i plan on living in Tn, that UT is even better than Vandy. I don't get it.

Pardon Johnny Cash.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 12:12:56 AM »
I would like to stay around my area. Does the tier stuff really matter? I just don't understand why UT would be so much better than Miss. Someone even told me that if i plan on living in Tn, that UT is even better than Vandy. I don't get it.

Law school is very regional.  Generally, firms only hire grads that they are familiar with or if their educations speak for itself (only about the top 14 to 25).  So in Tennessee, UT grads are interviewed by UT grads and many of the associates are UT grads, thus, your odds of getting hired are significantly higher than in Minnesota where no one's met a UT grad.

Rankings matter, but only to a point.  There's the infamous T14 and T25.  After that, portability outside of the region is slim.  So tiers do not matter - only how the school fairs with inside its own region.  For instance, it could be argued that Ole Miss (Iier 3) can offer better job prospects than American (Tier 1) because Ole Miss is the only school that matters within its region (all of Mississippi, Memphis, and a little bit of Alabama).  But American grads must compete with G'Town, GW, UVa, George Mason, all the of the T14 students who want DC.  Thus they tend to struggle and must pick up the scraps.

Now saying that UT grads will do better than a Vandy grad is an argument which is difficult to substantiate.  I think his logic is this: Tennessee firms only want to train an assoiate that they believe will be likely to remain in the area opposed to running to NYC at one's first opportunity.  So, if someone goes to the regional UT, there's a perception they will be more likely to wish to remain in the area.  Since you're from Tennessee, this is of no concern to you.  Go to Vandy if you get in.

So in short, you're looking at Ole Miss and UT.  Both schools do very well in their regions.  If you want to stay in Tennessee, definitely take the in-state at UT.  Moreover, only go to Ole Miss if you want to stay in Mississippi.  Tiers don't matter, the extent of their regional reputations do.  In your situation, UT is a no-brainer.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 10:20:10 AM »
You people need to stop using UT here for University of Tenn.  This is a national website.  It's like people using UM for University of Miss. while people think they are refering to the prestigous University of Michigan. 

kennedyposter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009, 10:33:46 AM »
You people need to stop using UT here for University of Tenn.  This is a national website.  It's like people using UM for University of Miss. while people think they are refering to the prestigous University of Michigan. 

Get over it...the people who are referring to this post for advice know what UT is in this case and so did you. Don't go searching for reasons to be a d!ck.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2009, 10:36:12 AM »
Get over it...the people who are referring to this post for advice know what UT is in this case and so did you. Don't go searching for reasons to be a d!ck.

Don't tell me what to do.  8)

Pardon Johnny Cash.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2009, 12:05:16 PM »

If someone's been following the thread, and the topic is "choosing in the south", I have a hard time believing someone's suddenly going to think UM's Michigan.  Were you confused?

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2009, 01:10:00 PM »

If someone's been following the thread, and the topic is "choosing in the south", I have a hard time believing someone's suddenly going to think UM's Michigan.  Were you confused?

Keep in mind, many people consider Texas as the South.  Both UTenn and UTexas can be considered as the South.