Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: are these schools doable with a 2.7 / 171???  (Read 4103 times)

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: are these schools doable with a 2.7 / 171???
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2009, 02:15:34 AM »
^^^^

If he/she graduated 2 years ago, how can their GPA be raised?

CLARIFICATION: I didn't realize OP was out of school, or did not keep it in mind as I typed my suggestion. But this does not change anything I said, so long as you don't take my GPA statement too literally.

The GPA can't, technically, be raised, but you CAN give schools some new grades with which to judge you by, and they CAN do their own calculations (not that hard to do). And I imagine some schools WILL do their own calculations if a student has done an extra year of "post-bacc" work.

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2009, 11:29:20 AM »
OP, your chances of admission will be increased if you make it a point to ignore LawDog's advice.
Quote from: Lionel Hutz, Esq.
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."

bl825

• Sr. Citizen
  • There are just so many reasons to smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2009, 11:35:37 AM »
OP, your chances of admission will be increased if you make it a point to ignore LawDog's advice.

Oh that's not completely fair.  He's right on occasion.  Well that might be an exaggeration.  He's been right at least once or twice. 

As for the OP: I think if you're already in some kind of program, it would be useful to get the best grades possible.  But enrolling in a whole other program just for the sake of trying to get some good grades is will not be very helpful.  Schools might consider those grades to some extent, but they won't carry that much weight (especially not if they're at programs where everyone gets good grades anyway).  Not enough weight to justify the spending another year or two of your life plus whatever the cost of the program ends up being.
Oh yea...you're delicious and lean, but unsustainable and not to be consumed daily.

Scentless Apprentice

• Sr. Citizen
  • My ego isnt LSD strong but I still want to play.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2009, 04:16:29 PM »
^^^^

If he/she graduated 2 years ago, how can their GPA be raised?

CLARIFICATION: I didn't realize OP was out of school, or did not keep it in mind as I typed my suggestion. But this does not change anything I said, so long as you don't take my GPA statement too literally.

The GPA can't, technically, be raised, but you CAN give schools some new grades with which to judge you by, and they CAN do their own calculations (not that hard to do). And I imagine some schools WILL do their own calculations if a student has done an extra year of "post-bacc" work.

(nod)
uh huh
Birds of a feather flock together.

LSN

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2009, 12:21:48 AM »
Yeah...I can admit a mistake. That doesn't change my advice. OP is in a decent but unpredictable position regardless.

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2009, 12:29:46 AM »
Look, you are in a "decent" position as of now b/c of your score. Nobody is denying that. But you could position yourself for at least a shot at everything below HYS. Right now, you look like a waitlist candidate b/c of the grades. You'll get into one or two of your choice schools, but not all. Splitters are splitters; top schools pick them for their rankings, which means you might wind up on a lot of top waitlists. 171 is fantastic, but 2.7 isn't impressive. Let's be honest, it screams, "Spiderman...brilliant but lazy."

I have a friend with a 2.9/171, who went to Duke, hence my suggestion of that extra year.

If you are willing to wait, an extra year of school with really high grades can make a world of difference, especially because of your score. High grades will validate the score. A year's worth of new grades (in tough courses) and a strong letter or two can make a world of difference. I suggest choosing from advanced levels of the following:

English (Shakespeare would be good b/c of the dense close-reading involved, plus there's usually some writing)
History (Greek and Roman History, U.S. Colonial, the Renniasance, or the Industrial Age maybe)
Classics (the Greeks again)
Statistics
Calculus (or some mathematics theory course)
Biology, Chemistry, Environmental Science, etc (i.e., a "hard science")
Psychology
Economics
Women's Studies (especially if you're male, adcoms will eat that up)

Try to take more than one course from the same prof, so he/she can write you a new letter. Just don't be a "gut hunter" (someone who takes easy courses) about it. If you get all A's, the adcoms will have to take notice of it. What are they going to do? They look stupid if they try to justify ignoring a recent record of strong performance.

And what these other people are saying makes no sense. Why would a new LSAT or LOR be useful while new grades have little relevance? It doesn't even make sense. Besides, what are you going to do? It's better than leaving your record "as is". it shows the adcoms you are determined, so the effort itself is as meaningful as the result of the effort. Use your common sense...don't waste that score.

bl825

• Sr. Citizen
  • There are just so many reasons to smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2009, 05:53:45 AM »
Look, you are in a "decent" position as of now b/c of your score. Nobody is denying that. But you could position yourself for at least a shot at everything below HYS. Right now, you look like a waitlist candidate b/c of the grades. You'll get into one or two of your choice schools, but not all. Splitters are splitters; top schools pick them for their rankings, which means you might wind up on a lot of top waitlists. 171 is fantastic, but 2.7 isn't impressive. Let's be honest, it screams, "Spiderman...brilliant but lazy."

I have a friend with a 2.9/171, who went to Duke, hence my suggestion of that extra year.

If you are willing to wait, an extra year of school with really high grades can make a world of difference, especially because of your score. High grades will validate the score. A year's worth of new grades (in tough courses) and a strong letter or two can make a world of difference. I suggest choosing from advanced levels of the following:

English (Shakespeare would be good b/c of the dense close-reading involved, plus there's usually some writing)
History (Greek and Roman History, U.S. Colonial, the Renniasance, or the Industrial Age maybe)
Classics (the Greeks again)
Statistics
Calculus (or some mathematics theory course)
Biology, Chemistry, Environmental Science, etc (i.e., a "hard science")
Psychology
Economics
Women's Studies (especially if you're male, adcoms will eat that up)

Try to take more than one course from the same prof, so he/she can write you a new letter. Just don't be a "gut hunter" (someone who takes easy courses) about it. If you get all A's, the adcoms will have to take notice of it. What are they going to do? They look stupid if they try to justify ignoring a recent record of strong performance.

And what these other people are saying makes no sense. Why would a new LSAT or LOR be useful while new grades have little relevance? It doesn't even make sense. Besides, what are you going to do? It's better than leaving your record "as is". it shows the adcoms you are determined, so the effort itself is as meaningful as the result of the effort. Use your common sense...don't waste that score.

I think that a new LSAT that was one or two points higher or a new LOR would have the same effect as some new grades, which is to say that I think they will have a very slight effect.
Oh yea...you're delicious and lean, but unsustainable and not to be consumed daily.

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2009, 10:56:20 AM »
Quote from: lawdog
Why would a new LSAT or LOR be useful while new grades have little relevance? It doesn't even make sense.

New grades are not reported to USNews.

A new LSAT score is reported to USNews.

Does it make sense now?
Quote from: Lionel Hutz, Esq.
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."

penni_rose

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2009, 04:56:10 PM »
The issue with getting new grades to me is not that they wouldn't help. I'm sure that they would, but they would be expensive and time consuming. To get a year's worth of grades, OP might have to quit working or work fewer hours, plus spend a bunch of money on classes that don't count towards a degree. That's an unnecessary expense.

I think that a few more points on the LSAT would have the same effect and could be done a lot cheaper. No, it won't fix the problem that OP's GPA is low, but it will offer a similar boost in his/her chances for a lot less money and inconvenience.

SwampFox

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2009, 08:45:18 PM »
Notre Dame
WUSTL
UC Hastings
George Washington
Georgetown

At the risk of asking a silly question, is there something wrong with concentrating on getting into the good, but slightly-less-prestigious schools?  You might not get into any of these, but there are plenty of lower Tier 1 and Tier 2's that would happily take someone with a 171 LSAT, low grades or not.  Not all, but certainly enough to make it worth your time to try.  At the risk of sounding pessimistic, *somebody* gets into these schools each year, but the odds are stacked high the other way.  These schools reject plenty of folks with GOOD grades; even with extra classes and super recommendations, it's a longshot.  I know there's no rule against applying to schools all over the ranking map, but maybe the original poster might make better use of time and application money (and experience less frustration) trying for a less ambitious goal.