Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: are these schools doable with a 2.7 / 171???  (Read 4114 times)

pumpcity

• View Profile
are these schools doable with a 2.7 / 171???
« on: March 18, 2009, 04:11:11 PM »
2.7 / 171
Non-URM minority
Physical Science Major
2 years out of school working, traveling, community service

Notre Dame
WUSTL
UC Hastings
George Washington
Georgetown

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: are these schools doable with a 2.7 / 171???
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 04:17:35 PM »
GULC Full-time might be out of reach, but I would be surprised at any other rejection.

Make sure your application package is perfect, it will be scrutinized more than most.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 12:32:43 PM »
I would apply to large number of schools with those numbers. Splitter admissions can be quite the crapshoot.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 11:27:17 PM »
Consider doing two or three extra semesters/quarters and try to get that GPA up just a little. Even at 2.9/3.0, you might get into Duke or Cornell. I know someone who had 2.9/171 and got into Duke last year. And I wouldn't put any school below T14 off the list. But even they might give you a look. Do an extra year and get up over 3.0 and every school, except for maybe HYS, will at least consider you. And you're a science major, which means schools will accept a lower GPA b/c of the strength of the program.

I expect some dissent on this, but I am right. It's far from a guarantee, but you'll get a shot at a T14 school if you just come up to 3.0. Then the key for you is to cast a very wide net once the GPA is up...say...25 schools ranging from T14 to top-50, if you can manage it.

I am willing to bet you get into several top schools, and maybe get waitlisted by (or get into) a T14. With an LSAT score like that, I would wait and bring my grades up. Why waste it when u can write your own ticket, or at least pave an easier road to what you want?

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 11:41:17 PM »
Consider doing two or three extra semesters/quarters and try to get that GPA up just a little. Even at 2.9/3.0, you might get into Duke or Cornell. I know someone who had 2.9/171 and got into Duke last year. And I wouldn't put any school below T14 off the list. But even they might give you a look. Do an extra year and get up over 3.0 and every school, except for maybe HYS, will at least consider you. And you're a science major, which means schools will accept a lower GPA b/c of the strength of the program.

I expect some dissent on this, but I am right. It's far from a guarantee, but you'll get a shot at a T14 school if you just come up to 3.0. Then the key for you is to cast a very wide net once the GPA is up...say...25 schools ranging from T14 to top-50, if you can manage it.

I am willing to bet you get into several top schools, and maybe get waitlisted by (or get into) a T14. With an LSAT score like that, I would wait and bring my grades up. Why waste it when u can write your own ticket, or at least pave an easier road to what you want?

OP explicitly said s/he's been out of school for 2 years!
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

Scentless Apprentice

• Sr. Citizen
  • My ego isnt LSD strong but I still want to play.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 11:42:26 PM »
^^^^

If he/she graduated 2 years ago, how can their GPA be raised?
Birds of a feather flock together.

LSN

'blueskies

• LSD Obsessed
  • your changing skyline is twisting me up inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 11:43:13 PM »
it can't
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

Scentless Apprentice

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 11:43:44 PM »
Oh, sorry. We must have been posting at the same time!

I was asking Lawdog the same question.

Where is 'This is Wrong' when you need him/her?

LSN

Scentless Apprentice

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 11:44:27 PM »

LSN

bl825

• Sr. Citizen
  • There are just so many reasons to smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 11:58:14 PM »

Well I guess that ends that discussion.

OP: I think you have a decent shot at all the schools on your list with the exception of Georgetown.  My advice: send lots of applications.  Splitter cycles are hard to predict.

Good luck.  :)
Oh yea...you're delicious and lean, but unsustainable and not to be consumed daily.