Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: School Health Insurance for pre-exisiting condition?  (Read 636 times)

apple100

• View Profile
School Health Insurance for pre-exisiting condition?
« on: March 17, 2009, 07:19:34 PM »
Due to a pre-exisiting condition, I am having trouble picking up health insurance. Schools that have accepted me exclude my pre-exisiting condition or exclude injectible medications. The only gov't/state option is very $$$ at around $700 a month before co-pays and deductibles. Any suggestions? This has to have happened to other students with diabetes or similar conditions... Thank you....

iceborer

• View Profile
Re: School Health Insurance for pre-exisiting condition?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 12:22:39 PM »
Unfortunately, pre-existing condition exclusions are not uncommon.  You basically have to wait out the exclusion period before insurance will pay for your supplies.  I found a suggestion or two here http://www.diabetes.org/advocacy-and-legalresources/healthcare/healthinsurance/faq.jsp#2, but not a lot of hope.

Because you didn't mention it, I'm assuming it's not the case, but if you have coverage under another group plan, and switch to the school plan, that would eliminate the pre-existing condition limitation (or at least part of it).  If you were currently insured, you would just need to get a certificate of creditable coverage from your current insurer and you'd be set.  IIRC, the coverage needs to be at least as long as the exclusion period to eliminate it completely (this includes coverage through COBRA).

Sorry :(

1Lin09hopeful

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 12:38:37 PM »
My husband and I are in a similar situation. Not that the pre-existing condition is excluded, but that the yearly pharmacy coverage is not even what one month of his prescription costs. We were told to look into private healthcare :(  We're contacting the non-profit group for his disease to see if the have suggestions.

Basically, the student health insurance coverage is bare bones, emergency medical only. No good for someone who has a hefty monthly prescription.

Let's share whatever info we find.

Best of luck to you.
I'm doing it because the fortune in the fortune cookie told me to.

iceborer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 02:02:19 PM »
Just thinking (I also have a medical condition that requires medication), but one option to consider is that you can appeal the cost of attendance numbers for a school (what they use to determine loan amounts) to cover extraordinary medical expenses.  While this means incurring more debt, it will provide more money to tide us over until work resumes.  I'm not sure about $$ limits on this path, but I would certainly talk to finaid folks where you plan to attend to see what can be done.

UNC0L

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 11:16:01 PM »
Pre-existing condition clauses are more commonly found when you purchase private health insurance.  When you're dealing with a group plan offered by a college or university, it's much less likely to exclude pre-existing conditions.

Just check with the school and find out who the insurance company is.  Get their policy handbook and take a look.