Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UNLV vs Rutgers-Camden vs LSU?  (Read 2308 times)

vegas*girl

• View Profile
Re: UNLV vs Rutgers-Camden vs LSU?
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2009, 11:21:49 AM »
Do you mind telling me what your LSAT/GPA is? I just applied to Boyd (submitted my app. the day before the deadline) and am very nervously waiting.

Thanks!

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2009, 11:57:17 AM »
Has to be Rutgers-C given your East Coast goals.

Although if early career placement ($$$) was a priority - UNLV.

I would tend to agree with the idea since UNLV has the state to itself, but Nevada was hurt really bad by the housing market, they had a huge housing boom there (and Phoenix) which grew the economy to one of the fastest growing in the country, now they have one of, if not the highest foreclosure rates. Its not a boom city much anymore, it will be again, when things even out because westward migration is a continuing tread, but there is a lot of former desert with empty homes on it now (good time to buy though!) and the state is really hurting from the lost income. Just something to add to the consideration mix.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

espanol

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2009, 07:56:50 PM »
i would go with the consensus and vote for rutgers-camden since you want to stay in that area.  I have friends that attend UNLV, and it is a great school for Las Vegas, and major markets in Nevada (Reno & Carson City), but like many others posted.  It has a low cost of living and tuition is low after application for residency (12 month continuous stay in nevada).  But a degree from UNLV will not do you much good out of graduation if you plan to relocate back to the east coast.  I have friends right now who are struggling to find a job in southern california from UNLV, and I image you would struggle even more than them.  Good luck with your decision.

1Lin09hopeful

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2009, 04:25:44 PM »
Thanks for all the opinions. This discussion has turned into the discussion that's been going on in my head for weeks now.   ;D

LSU seems great, but I think I'm at a point to pass on it. It would be a lot of fun and offers great opportunities with the common/civil law aspect, but I don't want to be in Louisiana forever.

So now it's really just between UNLV and Rutgers. I'm visiting each (again) over the next two weekends for their respective accepted students days.... hopefully that will make the decision for me!
I'm doing it because the fortune in the fortune cookie told me to.

kenpostudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - kenpostudent@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2009, 09:49:27 PM »
The job market is probably better in NV, despite how hard the economy has it us. The thing that most people don't realize about NV is that it has a very difficult Bar Exam. This suppresses the population of attorneys. So, there are still jobs in professional services in NV. However, there are not many big firms here, either. I was also offered a scholarship at UNLV. I will probably take it. Given that I am a local and that I know several attorneys here in town already, I see no reason to uproot myself.

Unless you intend to practice in NV, I wouldn't suggest attending UNLV, though. UNLV places well in Las Vegas, but not really anywhere else. I know of people who have gotten decent federal jobs out of UNLV, but they also graduated near the top of their class. If you intend to practice on the East Coast, go with Rutgers.

1Lin09hopeful

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2009, 05:09:07 PM »
So to circle back around to everyone and put closure on this discussion....

After visiting both Rutgers-Camden and UNLV, UNLV came out on top. I mean, the biggest drawback was the fear that I might like living out there too much to want to move back east!  So my seat deposit was submitted to UNLV...

...and then I withdrew the seat deposit when I was accepted to Temple! (UNLV really is wonderful, they were great and agreed not to deposit my check).  So in the end, I'm starting at Temple Univ Beasley School of Law in August. Funny how things work out!
I'm doing it because the fortune in the fortune cookie told me to.

espanol

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2009, 11:17:20 PM »
So to circle back around to everyone and put closure on this discussion....

After visiting both Rutgers-Camden and UNLV, UNLV came out on top. I mean, the biggest drawback was the fear that I might like living out there too much to want to move back east!  So my seat deposit was submitted to UNLV...

...and then I withdrew the seat deposit when I was accepted to Temple! (UNLV really is wonderful, they were great and agreed not to deposit my check).  So in the end, I'm starting at Temple Univ Beasley School of Law in August. Funny how things work out!

Awesome!  Congrats on your decision, its funny I got into Temple, and waitlisted at UNLV, and UNLV was one of my top choices.  I am going to withdraw from Temple next week (to attend Rutgers-Newark), and you just accepted your seat.  Hopefully I'll have the good fortune to get on through the waitlist, but I'm OK either way.  Good luck on everything!