Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: confused about 1L job  (Read 1392 times)

krystal82

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
confused about 1L job
« on: March 17, 2009, 11:55:59 AM »
hey guys, i currently have an offer from PI organization that I really like doing immigration and asylum work. i have request from an state judge to come in for interview and i'm hesitant to go. my school has a rule that if you get an offer from a judge you must accept.

my concern is what would look better for OCI this fall or will it even matter? Thoughts?

redbull

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: confused about 1L job
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 12:00:26 PM »
Neither will make a significant difference, just be able to talk about your job intelligently at interviews.  The important factors are: school, gpa, journal, and work experience.

one4theteam

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 01:03:12 PM »
I agree.  What will really be important if you want to do OCI next fall is find ways to work your experience from this summer in.  I've been told a lot of OCI interviewers, sometimes for lack of anything else to talk about, make it a point to ask why you did what you did last summer and how that fits into your plans with their organization.

A lot of skills are transferrable, and spin is always a good thing.  Keep an eye out for your spin depending on your future career goals.  Biglaw will want to find someone that won't bail on them after 6 months of research and document review their first 6 months.  Mid and small firms will want to find someone that won't ditch them after they get some experience under their belt for Biglaw.  PI orgs will want to find someone that isn't just looking for a job they "believe in" but one they have committed to. 

As a IL, you kind of have to take what you get for the summer.  Good thing its something you want.  Approach it looking for the skills and experience you will want to market this fall dependant on your future plans.

bryan9584

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 01:19:15 PM »
I have heard that judges are pretty flexible and will take interns on a part-time basis. So if you think your PI organization would be willing to share you, you could meet with the judge, tell him that you have an offer that you are going to accept at the PI org and would love to work with him also and if he would consider taking you on a part time, 2-3 day basis. Best of luck