Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Rutgers-Camden or PSU Dickinson  (Read 2861 times)

kevjh

• View Profile
Rutgers-Camden or PSU Dickinson
« on: March 17, 2009, 10:06:45 AM »
I'm having a hard time deciding between Penn State Dickinson and Rutgers-Camden.  I don't have scholarship at either.  What are your thoughts???  Thanks!

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Rutgers-Camden or PSU Dickinson
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 08:51:10 PM »
I'm having a hard time deciding between Penn State Dickinson and Rutgers-Camden.  I don't have scholarship at either.  What are your thoughts???  Thanks!

You should be looking at 2 things primarily: location and cost.  If you want to work in NJ (and perhaps Philly), then go to Rutgers.  Otherwise, if you want to work in the rest of PA, I'd go to PSU. 

However, do keep in mind the cost.  I know that PSU doesn't have in-state tuition, but does Rutgers?  If Rutgers does have in-state tuition, is it easy to get or nearly impossible?  Paying high $20,000's per year for PSU in tuition alone (not to mention living costs) isn't appealing, considering you're not likely to be making more than $50,000-$70,000 starting (this is an educated guess; do NOT rely solely on my estimate!).  That should play a factor in your decision.

Good luck. 

MauveAvenger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 11:03:55 PM »
I agree with Unbiased. Rutgers has a stronger reputation in the Philadelphia/tri-state area, especially considering its location. If you don't know, Camden is literally across the river from Philly, and the campus is at the base of one of the connecting bridges. It's also bound to be more affordable if you can live in Jersey and get the in-state tuition. Good luck!

Zurichbr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 12:48:11 PM »
I know RU-Camden does very well in Philly (probably better than, and at least as well as, PSU).  RU-Camden also does very well in NJ (much better than PSU).  RU-Camden is also cheaper if you're from NJ (and in this economy every $ matters).  Historically, RU-Camden has been a much better school, but PSU seems to have been improving lately.  Although they are ranked the same on US News, I would say RU is undoubtedly a better school and I tend to believe the overwhelming majority of the legal community would agree with me.