Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: USF, Chapman, and Southwestern - Cali People, help!!  (Read 3803 times)

italianzero

• View Profile
USF, Chapman, and Southwestern - Cali People, help!!
« on: March 17, 2009, 03:18:03 AM »
So...is there any objective way to evaluate which is a better school of the three?

USF offered a modest first year scholarship, Chapman and Southwestern offered none. However, Im going to be in debt anyway so I am trying to find out which school would be the most beneficial overall. Loyola waitlisted me, unfortunately...does anyone have any advice on the matter????

espanol

• View Profile
Re: USF, Chapman, and Southwestern - Cali People, help!!
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 07:15:12 PM »
the first question you should ask yourself is where do you want to practice.  sounds like you're a fellow southern californian like me.  i got into southwestern, usf, and waitlisted at loyola just like you.  if you would not mind having your best job prospects in the the bay area I would say USF is the best of the three.  from the research that i've done USF gives you better job prospects and ranking than both chapman and southwestern.  PLUS, you're getting free money!  No brainer...USF all the way if you don't mind relocating to norcal. 

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 07:25:26 PM »
If NorCal, then USF.

If SoCal, then Southwestern.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

MissNatalie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 10:56:16 PM »
I don't know anything about USF to be honest, but between the two California schools I would say go for Southwestern.  Good luck!
Class of 2011

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 03:24:47 AM »
Lately, Chapman is the hottest school of the three. Unless you're looking specifically to get into entertainment - in which case I'd say think a little harder about SWU - or work in the Bay Area, I'd say go to Chapman, but only if it at least matches USF. Otherwise, go to USF.

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 03:43:02 AM »
Chapman over Southwestern to work in LA? 

No.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 07:52:18 PM »
In this market, any money is better than none.
USF would be my call.
Southerwestern second.

I don't think there's anything that would make me choose Chapman for law school anymore (Not that it's a bad school, I just wouldn't go there).

cconnoll

• AOL Instant Messenger - tgrdbsktprep31
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 11:10:49 PM »
In this market, any money is better than none.
USF would be my call.
Southerwestern second.

I don't think there's anything that would make me choose Chapman for law school anymore (Not that it's a bad school, I just wouldn't go there).

care to explain why you woudlnt attend Chapman?!

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 11:49:33 PM »
Yeah.  Chapman has been the only legit game in the OC for a while.  No more.  Our friend Erwin will see to that.

Outside of the OC you've got San Diego to the south, with three schools, and then to the north is Los Angeles with schools like USC, UCLA, Pepperdine, Loyola etc etc etc.

Is it a bad school?  No, of course not.  Would I personally go there?  No, I don't see a strong niche for it anymore.  I could be wrong in my assessment, but yeah, I wouldn't go to Chapman.

cconnoll

• AOL Instant Messenger - tgrdbsktprep31
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 12:21:55 AM »
Yeah.  Chapman has been the only legit game in the OC for a while.  No more.  Our friend Erwin will see to that.

Outside of the OC you've got San Diego to the south, with three schools, and then to the north is Los Angeles with schools like USC, UCLA, Pepperdine, Loyola etc etc etc.

Is it a bad school?  No, of course not.  Would I personally go there?  No, I don't see a strong niche for it anymore.  I could be wrong in my assessment, but yeah, I wouldn't go to Chapman.

thats interesting. OC seems like a desirable place to live , so I can see how graduates from NorCal and SoCal could want to practice in OC. But why, in your opinion, is this trend occuring now?