Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: WUSTL or University of Minnesota  (Read 1617 times)

Bosox

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: WUSTL or University of Minnesota
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 03:11:03 PM »
WUSTL, unless you want to work in MPLS.  Minni only really places in the twin cities.

mbw

• LSD Obsessed
  • TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 03:28:47 PM »
WUSTL, unless you want to work in MPLS.  Minni only really places in the twin cities.

Only?  I'm sure the 41% of graduates (in 30 states) reported by LSAC as out-of-state placements would be surprised by that.

Look, clearly a majority of UofM graduates stay in the Twin Cities - but there's no evidence that is not due to personal choice, not lack of opportunities, as many grads do find work elsewhere, including in, gasp, BigLaw.  I don't plan on remaining in the TCs after graduation, but I certainly wouldn't cry if that's how it worked out.
I'm in a lynch mob?  I had no idea.  This is really worrying; I really don't have time for another extra-curricular activity.

space for rent.

remiz22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2009, 09:29:47 PM »
Minn does not place into chicago.  Not to mention, it's really, really, reallyl really extra cold in MN.  If given the choice, I'd pick wustl in a heart beat.

WUSTL. It places better in nearly every market except for MPLS. WUSTL also has a semi-national presence whereas Minnesota is very regional. Lastly, the law school buildings and campus at WUSTL are beautiful. 

Speedzie

• Sr. Citizen
  • Illinois College of Law - 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2009, 10:58:36 PM »

Only?  I'm sure the 41% of graduates (in 30 states) reported by LSAC as out-of-state placements would be surprised by that.

Look, clearly a majority of UofM graduates stay in the Twin Cities - but there's no evidence that is not due to personal choice, not lack of opportunities, as many grads do find work elsewhere, including in, gasp, BigLaw.  I don't plan on remaining in the TCs after graduation, but I certainly wouldn't cry if that's how it worked out.

We'll talk after graduation.  Nuff said.

MSP1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2009, 01:41:21 PM »
The U of M is a great school.  So is WUSTL.  Ironically, I've heard the same derogatory comments about both that neither one places as well nationally as their rankings would indicate. 

If you run the table at Minnesota and make connections, you can get an NLJ 250 job in Chicago.  While not totally analogous, a good friend of mine aced his first year at Minnesota and ended up transferring to Harvard.  He's graduating Order of the Coif this spring.