Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: just how bad is the 1L job market?  (Read 7795 times)

stricly bricly

• Sr. Citizen
  • berkeley 2011
    • View Profile
Re: just how bad is the 1L job market?
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2009, 01:14:01 AM »
babs, you must just know all the forthcoming people ;) but really, i'm not surprised that some are struggling.  ANYONE should be fortunate to have something decent lined up for the summer, and as i'm sure is true across the board, those who were sending out resumes on 12/1/08 mostly benefited from it.  (i was waaayy too cracked out on outlining to even attempt this) but it's definitely not too late, especially for stuff like smaller firms and RA positions.

in times like this, as a straight-through-from-undergrad type, i have next to no idea what i'd say in a biglaw interview.

asiangirl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2009, 01:18:10 AM »
I heard judicial internship and some law firm experience will be beneficial ... ok if you are fresh grad.

and I heard taht among all kinds of law, litigation is the most valued.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2009, 01:21:12 AM »
babs, you must just know all the forthcoming people ;) but really, i'm not surprised that some are struggling.  ANYONE should be fortunate to have something decent lined up for the summer, and as i'm sure is true across the board, those who were sending out resumes on 12/1/08 mostly benefited from it.  (i was waaayy too cracked out on outlining to even attempt this) but it's definitely not too late, especially for stuff like smaller firms and RA positions.

in times like this, as a straight-through-from-undergrad type, i have next to no idea what i'd say in a biglaw interview.

Yeah, this is a problem for many people at my school as well.  I've never been more glad I took a year off.

stricly bricly

• Sr. Citizen
  • berkeley 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2009, 01:30:40 AM »
there are some straight-through-ers who got great firm jobs that pay &c.  i would suppose that the strategy of firms in hiring 1Ls for summer is to get a first crack at the people who show the most promise, so that they don't have to compete for those students during fall OCIP.  i'm not one of those people  :P, but i did fine interviewing for internships and ended up with my first choice.  actually, it would be a dream come true if i could just start working when spring break ends..

"That One"

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2009, 10:20:14 AM »
bad.

I'm number one in my class after first semester at a top 40 school near a great legal market.

I'm still jobless.

I have my suspicions as to why (nothing to do with my particular idiosyncracies...a broader theory), but flabbergasting nonetheless.

Are you only looking at SA positions?

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2009, 10:30:19 AM »
Has it not been the case that 1L jobs were always difficult to attain?
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

krystal82

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2009, 11:59:58 AM »
hey guys, i currently have an offer from PI organization that I really like doing immigration and asylum work. i have request from an state judge to come in for interview and i'm hesitant to go. my school has a rule that if you get an offer from a judge you must accept.

my concern is what would look better for OCI this fall or will it even matter? Thoughts?

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2009, 12:12:39 PM »
Has it not been the case that 1L jobs were always difficult to attain?

Paid 1L jobs have always been difficult to obtain.  1L jobs in general, not so much.

hey guys, i currently have an offer from PI organization that I really like doing immigration and asylum work. i have request from an state judge to come in for interview and i'm hesitant to go. my school has a rule that if you get an offer from a judge you must accept.

my concern is what would look better for OCI this fall or will it even matter? Thoughts?

I am no expert in OCI, but I would avoid taking an interview if it's going to lock you into something that you are less enthusiastic about.  It's more important that you are really engaged with your work this summer than that you do any particular thing.  Also, if your interview is with a trial court judge in NY, as a 1L you will spend most of your time observing court.  You will probably get to do a lot more in the immigration/asylum practice.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

LawSchoolAuthority

• View Profile
    • Law School Authority
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2009, 12:13:21 PM »
The 1L job market is traditionally fairly tough as one poster noted; however, the economic conditions have made it even more so.  To be honest, I do not have a firm grasp on the 1L job market, but judging from all of the terrible new regarding junior associates, incoming 3Ls, and 2L SAs, the situation cannot be good for 1Ls (especially those seeking BigLaw SAs).  ATL has been keeping tabs on this mess since last fall and is updated frequently.  http://www.abovethelaw.com

beaverfuzz

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2009, 01:26:43 PM »
It is bad in the NW. The Oregon Dept. of Justice, which traditionally hires about 20 first-year students, usually pulls from the top half of classes. However, this year they were able to restrict interviews to the top 10% and rejecting many of those.