Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: just how bad is the 1L job market?  (Read 7709 times)

babs22pa

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: just how bad is the 1L job market?
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2009, 07:36:20 PM »
hey guys, i currently have an offer from PI organization that I really like doing immigration and asylum work. i have request from an state judge to come in for interview and i'm hesitant to go. my school has a rule that if you get an offer from a judge you must accept.

my concern is what would look better for OCI this fall or will it even matter? Thoughts?

I agree with what everyone else has been saying. Pick whichever one you think you'll enjoy most and will make you the most enthusiastic during your OCI interviews. I think a positive attitude about your summer job could be a far greater asset than a big name.

I ended up taking a job with a state trial judge. I spoke with several judges during the process and each seemed to offer a different experience for externs- some with extensive legal research, some with none. I finally had an interview with the most fabulous judge ever (during the interview I was like, I want to be this person in 30 years) and my choice was easy.

Why not interview with the judge and if you feel like it's not for you indicate that during your interview. Some judges offer you the job at the end of the interview, but you can prevent this from happening- and do so in a polite manner. They will ask you lots of open-ended personal questions where you can easily slip in, "I'm actually still unsure whether I can afford to take an unpaid job" or "I'm unsure about my time commitment." Judges are smart and, as we all know, risk adverse. They will figure it out really fast.  ;)

Working for federal judges is obviously more prestigous, but I think working for a state judge in the city you plan to work in can be a real asset for references, attorney connections, learning the state law and procedure you will actually use, etc.

chamb

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2009, 11:14:30 PM »
As someone who recently graduated from law school 2 years ago and who worked at a top firm second year summer and then after law school, I would recommend that you look outside firms for 1L jobs. That's what I did, and the fact that I had worked for a non-profit organization my first year summer helped me immensely in OCI second year first semester. The bottom line is this: you need to go to the place where you'll get the best experience, the most opportunities to write or the most opportunities to go to court--not where you'll get the most money. This will pay off immensely later on. It will also make you stand out in the OCI process because you'll have more interesting anecdotes and you'll also end up with better writing samples, trust me!

Besides that, it also will ensure that you don't get a one-sided view of what you can do with your law degree (it's almost impossible to get a job at a firm if you don't work for one your second year summer, but firms don't really care if you worked for a firm your 1L summer, so doing something else during that summer has no bearing on your after graduation prospects). This means that 1L summer is a good time to get a feel for something besides the firm environment so you'll know whether it's something that you really want to go into for the long-term.

This is just my two cents, take it or leave it.  ;)

Talk Is Cheap

• Sr. Citizen
  • F*** the man, I'm the man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2009, 11:35:44 PM »
As someone who recently graduated from law school 2 years ago and who worked at a top firm second year summer and then after law school, I would recommend that you look outside firms for 1L jobs. That's what I did, and the fact that I had worked for a non-profit organization my first year summer helped me immensely in OCI second year first semester. The bottom line is this: you need to go to the place where you'll get the best experience, the most opportunities to write or the most opportunities to go to court--not where you'll get the most money. This will pay off immensely later on. It will also make you stand out in the OCI process because you'll have more interesting anecdotes and you'll also end up with better writing samples, trust me!

Besides that, it also will ensure that you don't get a one-sided view of what you can do with your law degree (it's almost impossible to get a job at a firm if you don't work for one your second year summer, but firms don't really care if you worked for a firm your 1L summer, so doing something else during that summer has no bearing on your after graduation prospects). This means that 1L summer is a good time to get a feel for something besides the firm environment so you'll know whether it's something that you really want to go into for the long-term.

This is just my two cents, take it or leave it.  ;)

I'd heard this before, but it's good to hear it again. I am at peace. Thanks!

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2009, 12:53:54 AM »

This is just my two cents, take it or leave it.  Wink

I disagree to some extent.
If your end goal is to work in biglaw and you get an offer for 1L summer at a firm you would like to work at after graduation, you would have to be either daft or woefully misinformed to turn it down- especially in this economy.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?