Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I Need Your Help - Before a Judge  (Read 4877 times)

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
Re: I Need Your Help - Before a Judge
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2009, 10:43:24 AM »
OMG tag!
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

likewise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2009, 10:26:53 PM »
I'm going to step in and state the obvious. The ethics rules cited (at times) in this thread apply to LAWYERS, not law students. The bar can only discipline LAWYERS (or former lawyers) for the practice of law without a "license." The rules in question are concerned with suspended or disbarred attys providing advice, not with law students providing advice. It is likely INAPPROPRIATE for a law student to provide advice, and any conversation with an Earth person about a legal issue by a law student should be prefaced by the "I'm not a lawyer thing."

You are obviously correct.  In my professional responsibility class, however, we read two cases where law students were denied admission to the bar because they had engaged in the unauthorized practice of law using their credentials as law students.  (I actually think one of these had pretended to be a law graduate, but the other was merely helping people with divorces or something before graduating from law school and without the supervision of a licensed attorney.)  Ordinarily, I would be with you that concerns about C&F with respect to offering legal advice are probably overblown, but LawDog, in particular, holds himself out to be an expert in a way that could prove problematic, particularly given his constant puffery about his training, experience, integration into the legal world, and positions of responsibility (on admissions committees?).  Perhaps more important, as you indicate, it's completely inappropriate for law students to offer legal advice, regardless of any specific model (or adopted) rules.

No matter hjow much of an "expert" I hold myself to be, everyone on this site knows I am an 0L who begin's law school in the fall.

Mr/Ms. Likewise:

PAY NO ATTENTION TO THIS GUY. THE REAL ISSUE IS THAT SOME OF THESE ARROGANT, OVERPRIVILEDGED WHITE BOYS AND GIRLS (YES, I WENT THERE!) CANNOT HANDLE BEING INTELLECTUALLY SPANKED REPEATEDLY BY A BLACK MAN. And they cannot handle a Black man who holds himself to be their equal. THEY ARGUE WITH ME NO MATTER WHAT I SAY. I could be the one posting your comments and it wouldn't make a difference. This is "identity politics"...nothing else. Many times, I tell them things that are 100% correct, and they argue with me just for the sake of it. And their logic is stupid, just like it was below...flaming stupid. Why did that idiot even broach the license issue? It really was only brought up to say..."Hey, Lawdog...you're such a know it all. Well...well...how about this? I bet you could get in trouble with the bar!" (waaaaaah...waaaaah! lol.) 

Yeah, so the race card doesn't work for / on me, and it makes you look small. You lack logic in your arguments, and they're poorly written. Your arguments, that is, lack structure and sense. This is why folks attempt to refute what you say. It's also why I will avoid rebutting your arguments. It just wouldn't get you, me, or anyone else anywhere. At all.

Keep smilin', kiddo.   ;)

Netopalis

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - troop85eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2009, 11:12:59 PM »
No matter hjow much of an "expert" I hold myself to be, everyone on this site knows I am an 0L who begin's law school in the fall.
Mercer University School of Law '12

This is wrong.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Dear LawDog3...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2009, 12:56:31 PM »
Can it possibly be? LawDog abandoned an argument?!? :D

This is wrong.

(Sadly.  He'll be back.  You know it.  I know it.  We all know it.)
I do not like hats.
I do not like them on bats.
I would not like them near cats.
I would not like them made out of mats.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2009, 02:31:11 PM »
Can it possibly be? LawDog abandoned an argument?!? :D

This is wrong.

(Sadly.  He'll be back.  You know it.  I know it.  We all know it.)

J, you're needed in the "Speaking Spanish in Texas" thread, stat.

LLOL
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2009, 12:13:47 AM »
PAY NO ATTENTION TO THIS GUY. THE REAL ISSUE IS THAT SOME OF THESE ARROGANT, OVERPRIVILEDGED WHITE BOYS AND GIRLS (YES, I WENT THERE!) CANNOT HANDLE BEING INTELLECTUALLY SPANKED REPEATEDLY BY A BLACK MAN. And they cannot handle a Black man who holds himself to be their equal. THEY ARGUE WITH ME NO MATTER WHAT I SAY. I could be the one posting your comments and it wouldn't make a difference. This is "identity politics"...nothing else.

I'd laugh, but this is an insult to the black men on this discussion board who do repeatedly spank me and others here.  (Special hat tip to Alcibiades and Kirk Lazarus.)  It also trivializes the real racism that black posters experience regularly in this forum.  Try harder.

Also,
<--- not a "guy"

Many times, I tell them things that are 100% correct, and they argue with me just for the sake of it. And their logic is stupid, just like it was below...flaming stupid. Why did that idiot even broach the license issue? It really was only brought up to say..."Hey, Lawdog...you're such a know it all. Well...well...how about this? I bet you could get in trouble with the bar!" (waaaaaah...waaaaah! lol.) 

Just flamin'. They hold themselves up to be admissions experts and legal experts more than anybody. Atleast when I speak, I speak from some experience. They talk out of their asses.

This is absurd.  Mugatu was fretting about the ethics of offering legal advice in the second post of this thread.  How could this possibly be targeting you?  You came in here to pick a fight with people who had already made their opinions known.  You can't then turn around and call their defense of their positions "flame."

And experience?  Really?  Is that the standard you want to use?  I'll bite.  I have worked in my chosen legal field for about a decade; I have second-seated two felony trials; I have written and argued motions in dozens of misdemeanor cases; I have written portions of capital habeas petitions; and I have finished over 90% of my law school education.  Stop telling me that I don't know how hard law school is going to be or that I don't know how to think like a lawyer.  What do you know?  You read some books about law school admissions?  You got admitted to law school?  You took a law school class?  You know some people who got into different law schools?  Well me too, son, me too.

Like when looking at the Chris Brown situation. I tell them that, if they really want to be lawyers, they will try to sharpen their skills by figuring out how they might defend Chris Brown. I tell them that a future law prof could give them an analogous fact-pattern on an exam and instruct them to defend Chris Brown.

They refuted that too, saying, "I don't wanna think like a lawyer...I'll do that when I am in law school." 

How stupid does that sound? These people claim to have a passion for the law. Lawyers are born, not made! And if you love the law, u think about it constantly...you eat, sleep and breath the law. You wouldn't need to "wait" to start thinking like a lawyer.

Some of these people are just straight-up idiots.

That is not at all what I or others said in that thread.  We told you that you were confused about what "innocent until proven guilty" means (i.e., that it is a legal concept not a moral truth).  But I know, I know, "[YOU ARE] NOT CLUELESS ABOUT ANYTHING."  Oops.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2009, 10:42:31 AM »
I am bumping this for Lawdog's benefit since I didn't want to sully the Tulane thread. 
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

mugatu

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'll show YOU pacifist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2009, 12:04:54 PM »
 :D
Let me show you Derelicte. It is a fashion, a way of life inspired by the very homeless, the vagrants, the crack whores that make this wonderful city so unique.

They're break-dance fighting.