Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I Need Your Help - Before a Judge  (Read 4683 times)

Sephiroth

• View Profile
I Need Your Help - Before a Judge
« on: March 16, 2009, 07:09:22 PM »
so I got a bill by the cops for using my cell in my car when the new law went in place, and you're not supposed to do that. actually i was listening to a voicemail and then quickly put it away, but the cop saw me with it in my hands, so i got a fine of $130.00. tomorrow i am going to see if i can contest it before the judge and see if it is possible to waive this bill or at least a mitigated fine. what should i say to him? what would be convincing? I really need your help as this fee is big because I am unemployed due to the economy and I remember once reading on television that your first time using your cell in a car will be a fee of around $40.

I need your input.  Any chances with this?

additional:  the due date for the payment is in 2 days March 18, the cop who gave me the citation doesn't know when i'm arriving as the clerk told me just show up on or before the due date (no notice needed).

mugatu

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'll show YOU pacifist.
    • View Profile
Re: I Need Your Help - Before a Judge
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 07:29:33 PM »
It is not a good idea for anyone not admitted to the bar to provide legal advice.  Seriously.
Let me show you Derelicte. It is a fashion, a way of life inspired by the very homeless, the vagrants, the crack whores that make this wonderful city so unique.

They're break-dance fighting.

Pardon Johnny Cash.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 07:35:11 PM »
How does my advice have any risk to it?

mugatu

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 07:37:45 PM »

While there is, of course, always the "nothing is going to happen" argument, practicing law (i.e. - giving advice) is a major (read: unsurmountable) bar for admittance to the bar.
Let me show you Derelicte. It is a fashion, a way of life inspired by the very homeless, the vagrants, the crack whores that make this wonderful city so unique.

Pardon Johnny Cash.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 07:51:35 PM »

While there is, of course, always the "nothing is going to happen" argument, practicing law (i.e. - giving advice) is a major (read: unsurmountable) bar for admittance to the bar.

??? ??? ??? Huh?  I'm not disputing this, just unfamiliar.  Do you mind telling me a bit more?

eta: I ddubbed my advice because it sounds like you're definitely right.

mugatu

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 08:13:36 PM »

??? ??? ??? Huh?  I'm not disputing this, just unfamiliar.  Do you mind telling me a bit more?

For instance:

http://calbar.ca.gov/state/calbar/calbar_generic.jsp?sImagePath=Current_Rules.gif&sCategoryPath=/Home/Attorney%20Resources/Rules/Rules%20of%20Professional%20Conduct&sFileType=HTML&sCatHtmlPath=html/RPC_Current-Rules-1-300.html

A violation of the ethic rules prior to even beginning can make it difficult to be a member in the first place.  What else do you want to know?

Pardon Johnny Cash.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 08:15:52 PM »
That's perfect.  I was completely unaware that offering advice before passing the bar constitutes such a violation.  When you said what I was doing was a bad idea, I thought you were referring that I'd get the op thrown into the clinnk or something.  I didn't realize that the hazard was mine.

mugatu

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 08:21:33 PM »
Yep.  I just wanted to chime in!

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 09:41:12 PM »
I can give you some advice, person to person.  It is not legal advice, just plain-old friendly advice:

(a) Never lie to a judge, especially if you might want to be a lawyer someday.

(b) Let the judge or clerk know your financial situation.  It's likely that s/he will reduce your fine, change the due date, or put you on a payment plan.  It's much better to be upfront about this at the outset than to miss due dates and make excuses later.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Sephiroth

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 09:55:40 PM »
thanks thus far, this might sound odd, but what should i wear?  a polo collared t shirt is fine, or?