Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Mich vs. Duke vs. NU?  (Read 732 times)

dontknow

• View Profile
Mich vs. Duke vs. NU?
« on: March 16, 2009, 05:46:42 PM »
any thoughts?

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Mich vs. Duke vs. NU?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 05:57:48 PM »
I'm thinking Michigan.

But seriously, I'd say between Mich. and NU.  The decision to be made based on a slew of factors including:  do you want to work in Chicago (NU) or elsewhere (Mich) when you graduate?  Are you recently out of undergrad (Mich = younger) or are you in your 30s or 40s (NU = more career people).  Then there are all sorts of minor misc. factors like administrative policy, reputation, making your girlfriend happy, blah blah blah.
_______
.|E|R|S.

Pardon Johnny Cash.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 06:17:05 PM »
Out of curiosity, Tetris, why are you choosing to not consider Duke in your analysis?  It seems like with the very small class sizes, those finishing at the bottom of the classes (a realistic concern) fair better than the other two.  This is just something that I personally value highly.

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 06:23:55 PM »
Too little info.

Goals? Scholarship money? Personal preference? Anything that could possibly help one try to help you make a decision when they know nothing about you?
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

dontknow

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 06:37:39 PM »
well, im a few years out of undergrad but not in the 30s/40s group, interested in international law and have been working internationally for a couple years, ive been to NU and know chicago really well, but never to Michigan or Duke.  i really like the idea of smaller classes, value a sense of community, and think living in close proximity to other law students would be ideal...but I also love living in a big city...

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 06:38:01 PM »
With no other info I would say Mich.

Definite no on NU unless you have a compelling reason to be in Chi-town.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 06:40:15 PM »
well, im a few years out of undergrad but not in the 30s/40s group, interested in international law and have been working internationally for a couple years, ive been to NU and know chicago really well, but never to Michigan or Duke.  i really like the idea of smaller classes, value a sense of community, and think living in close proximity to other law students would be ideal...but I also love living in a big city...

Given this, it would probably be a toss-up between Michigan and NU.  Duke would be third to those.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 07:19:52 PM »
Duke. Pains me to say that. :)
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

woeisme

• Sr. Citizen
  • Untouchable
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 07:57:17 PM »

Okay, this screams Cornell ... except for the last big city part. But anyway, out of the three you named ...

International Law -> I don't think any of the three are particularly better placed for this.
Smaller Classes -> Duke
Sense of Community -> Duke
Proximity to other students -> Michigan, maybe? I have no idea.
Big city -> NU

Yeah, I can see how it's a toss-up. Where do you ultimately want to practice? If east coast, I'm thinking Duke for you. Maybe Michigan for west coast. Either for the midwest, really. NU is probably better for Chicago. You really should visit these three and get a feel for them. Are they the only ones you're still considering?

Cornell Law School Class of 2011 ... ftw.