Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Laptops in Law School: Experience  (Read 2291 times)

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Re: Laptops in Law School: Experience
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 04:08:20 PM »
My current school prefers them because of the limited virus concerns and the dangers to the school network.  PC users have to download anti virus programs and have a special log on process, Mac users just jump on the network.

The school administrators obviously don't pay much attention to articles like these:

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/security/0,1000000189,39630015,00.htm

Took a hacker a grand total of 10 seconds hack a mac.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

willametterules

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 05:47:37 PM »
My current school prefers them because of the limited virus concerns and the dangers to the school network.  PC users have to download anti virus programs and have a special log on process, Mac users just jump on the network.

The school administrators obviously don't pay much attention to articles like these:

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/security/0,1000000189,39630015,00.htm

Took a hacker a grand total of 10 seconds hack a mac.

Macs aren't the holy grail, but 99% of phishing at our law school server is PC specific when a viral infection is involved.  Of course as Mac use rises, there will be more money/scams to be had and Macs will be attacked on a larger scale.  Eventually the policy will change...

js11287

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2009, 05:48:47 PM »
I don't know if this is still true, but I was doing a little bit of research with this because I love Macs. I think the NY Times wrote about how when taking the bar, and choosing to use a computer, you can only use a PC and not a mac. Is this still the case?

chevelle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2009, 09:56:52 AM »
I have used both in school...I have a Dell XPS m1210 and a 13" MacBook (the black one). I used my Dell all of 1L, and my Mac in class all of 2L, but I always took exams on the Dell because the tech people seemed to know how to quickly resolve any PC issues much better than they did Mac problems.

My Mac was fine my first semester of 3L, but then the first day of this semester, Microsoft Word crashed about 6 times and I lost all my notes. This then started happening to everyone with a Mac. The school says it has something to do with their network, I have no idea. So now I just use my Dell....for the bar (at least, the NY bar), you either need a PC or an Intel Mac with XP or Vista on it, so you might as well get used to the SofTest exam program beforehand.

The bottom line I have discovered is that laptops mostly suck, no matter what brand you buy...law students put a lot of wear and tear on them.

Bob Loblaw Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2009, 04:43:59 AM »
keep the mac if you can

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2009, 08:07:51 AM »
I've used my Macs all three years with no major problems. And of course, when minor problems come up, the Mac service sure is nice. Most things can be resolved at the Genius Bar on the spot, but the one time I had to mail my MacBook Pro out, they had it back to me in a little less than 3 days. It was like magic.

I'd say our school is at least 50/50 at this point, and the Macs may even be in the majority by now.
I was referring to your intellectual penis. Which is quite robust.

Jolie is creeping up on me. 

djshack

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2009, 01:40:36 PM »
I'm definitely keeping it.  I've been convinced.