Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Laptops in Law School: Experience  (Read 2250 times)

djshack

• View Profile
Laptops in Law School: Experience
« on: March 16, 2009, 05:07:07 PM »
I'll preface this post by stating the following: I am aware there have been numerous threads on this board and other boards about what laptop one should get for law school (including the Mac vs. PC debate).

I'd like to know, from current law students, some good advice, stories, etc. and law school laptop usage.  I'm currently (and have been for 6 years) a Mac user, with a white MacBook (2.5 years old).  I love Macs, and I'm going to a school that only requires Windows for the exam software (which we can run via Boot Camp).  However, while I do like Macs, I'm a bit skeptical of how my plastic MacBook will hold up physically (already had the infamous cracking case replaced with a new, supposedly stronger one).

If anyone here uses a Mac in law school, can you please tell me about it?  Such as how your MacBook holds up, any compatibility issues you've had, what you use for notetaking (OmniOutliner, etc.)... and also, I'd like to hear about the cheap PC laptop vs. ThinkPad debate (i.e. if a ThinkPad is truly necessary, or if a $700 Dell will cut it with the wear and tear brought on by carrying the computer everywhere).

Thanks!

epicac

• press play
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Laptops in Law School: Experience
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 12:15:32 AM »
Lots of people in the class use Macs, but I don't know if it's worth it.  Go to slickdeals.net and keep your eyes peeled for a cheap PC.  You should consider an Asus Eee if you want something very easy to carry, they cost a hell of a lot less than a  Macbook.
riding a gravy train with biscuit wheels...

lawmama09

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 08:06:36 AM »
About 30-40% of my class uses Macs, with no issues. I have a white MacBook too (also 2.5 years old), and it has been fine. I don't use them for notes in class, but most of my classmates do. I prefer Macs over PCs in general, so I wouldn't consider a PC anyway, but I see plenty of people use them successfully in law school.

SASS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 09:14:54 AM »
Lots of people use mac's at my school. I personally bought a $500 Toshiba and it has been fine but I am  REALLY jealous of my husband's new thinkpad. It is light, small, durable and if I make money this summer, I may get it as a little gift to myself. That is, if I can talk myself out of tossing my perfectly fine Toshiba . . . fingers crossed for blue screen!

djshack

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 11:37:51 AM »
Based on what people say, it sounds as though I'll be fine with my trusty MacBook (hoping it survives).  I suppose I can wait a year, until it's over three years old and AppleCare expires, then buy a new aluminum one (love those things).

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 03:27:20 PM »
IMO the cheap laptops probably hold up better than the more expensive ones because they tend to have clunkier/beefier designs. My 2.5 year old dell has withstood a lot of abuse. I know a lot of people who have destroyed macbooks in short order.

I wouldn't recommend a netbook (i.e. EEPC) as your only computer. The keyboards are too small for serious typing unless you have the hands of a 5 yr old.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

epicac

• press play
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 08:13:32 PM »

I wouldn't recommend a netbook (i.e. EEPC) as your only computer. The keyboards are too small for serious typing unless you have the hands of a 5 yr old.

Yeah, that's a good point.
riding a gravy train with biscuit wheels...

willametterules

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 01:27:41 PM »
My MacBook is 4 years old.  I had it gutted by Apple 1 year ago for $200. Other than running hot as hell (charger), no problems. 

djshack

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 12:45:37 PM »
Thanks for the info everyone.  I've decided to stay with the Mac (so much nicer).  I heard that approximately 40% of the students at my school use Macs, and the school even offers MS Office for MAC for free (I thought it was just Windows originally).

willametterules

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 01:30:26 PM »
Thanks for the info everyone.  I've decided to stay with the Mac (so much nicer).  I heard that approximately 40% of the students at my school use Macs, and the school even offers MS Office for MAC for free (I thought it was just Windows originally).

It is funny because it can be really school specific.  I started law school in the midwest in 2005, exactly one other person in the entering class had a Mac.  Out here on the coast, its about 50-50.  My current school prefers them because of the limited virus concerns and the dangers to the school network.  PC users have to download anti virus programs and have a special log on process, Mac users just jump on the network.