Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Are scholarship acceptances binding?  (Read 770 times)

Mystere

• View Profile
    • Email
Are scholarship acceptances binding?
« on: March 16, 2009, 04:31:37 PM »
I've received a 20k scholarship to a law school but I'm waiting to hear back from a much better one. Unfortunately, the scholarship acceptance must be sent in by April 1st and there is a chance I won't find out from the school I want to go to by then. Should I accept the scholarship anyway and then just let them know I'm going to the other school if I get in or does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Re: Are scholarship acceptances binding?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 06:52:22 PM »
No agreement is binding in the strictest of senses- even a legally binding contract can be breached. It's all about the ramifications of breaching the agreement.

Unfortunately, we would have to give you legal advice (which law students are not supposed to do) in order to truly answer the question.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

Mystere

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 02:24:27 PM »
Anyone have any suggestions that they can actually tell me?

Susan B. Anthony

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 02:34:40 PM »
You should probably make sure that one of the requirements for accepting the scholarship isn't withdrawing all of your other applications.

These things vary by school/scholarship. You'd be better served by actually reading the conditions of the scholarship than by asking general questions for which there are no answers beyond "maybe"

You can also try calling and asking for a deadline extension. They may or may not say yes.

Mystere

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 03:15:59 PM »
I tried calling and they said they wouldn't extend the deadline. The acceptance form doesn't say that I need to withdraw from other schools on it but it says I need to sign the acceptance and send in my seat deposit by April 1st. 

futurelawyergal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 04:27:19 PM »
What school for the scholarship/which one are you waiting on if you don't mind me asking? PM if you like:)