Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Living with other law students during 1L?  (Read 727 times)

imchuckbass58

• View Profile
Living with other law students during 1L?
« on: March 16, 2009, 03:22:07 PM »
Hi,

I wanted to get some current student opinions on whom to live with during 1L.

I grew up in NYC and have lived here for 2 years following college. I'm still finishing up my cycle, but chances are I will end up at either NYU or Columbia, so I've started thinking about living arrangements.

Basically, I can enter the school housing draw, get university housing (which is fine, but not great at both places) and live with other law students, or I can get a place with some of my (non-law school) friends elsewhere in the city.

I've heard two perspectives. One says living with law students gives you a support network of people who know what law school is like, and allows you to form bonds with your classmates. Another says living with law students will stress you out unnecessarily, and turn you into someone who talks about nothing except for law school since it pervades all aspects of your existence and the only people you hang out with are other law students

A couple of things to keep in mind:

--I want to meet and make friends with my classmates, but I also want to maintain a life outside of law school and keep up my non-law school friendships. I consider myself fairly social and feel I would be able to do both, but I realize either choice would entail compromises on one end or the other.

--I'm pretty confident I could find cheaper, better housing off-campus than what NYU and Columbia offer, but this would likely entail living 15-20 minutes away by subway, rather than a 5 minute walk.

Would appreciate any thoughts you guys have on this.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Living with other law students during 1L?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 03:24:01 PM »
It all depends on whether your friends and you are on the same wavelength.  If you're a gunner, and they're not at that level, it's going to be pretty bad (See, New Grad; my life).  But if you're all gunners, you can use the living arrangement to hone your understanding of the material; meanwhile, if you're all slackers, you can enjoy each other's company.

These aren't fine distinctions, but you get the idea.  Piercing the veil of ignorance is hard at this point, though, and I would say you're better off living alone.

"One says living with law students gives you a support network of people who know what law school is like, and allows you to form bonds with your classmates. Another says living with law students will stress you out unnecessarily, and turn you into someone who talks about nothing except for law school since it pervades all aspects of your existence and the only people you hang out with are other law students."

My point exactly. 

Bizarro Jerry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 06:54:39 PM »
I would strongly favor the living WITHOUT other law students if I was in your position.

Once you begin classes - and I mean right within the first week - you'll be spending so much time with classmates (in class, at lunch, in the law library, in the commons studying, etc...) that you'll have plenty of opportunities to connect and make friends with the law school class.  Plus, there are constantly other events going on - receptions, pub nights, student organization meetings, etc... that give you chances to connect with them.

If you want a healthy life-school balance, I would recommend keeping home somewhat separate - and that means living with someone other than a fellow law student.

I live with my wife who is not in law school and I'm very thankful that I can come home and, while I can vent and share my day with her, I can also do other things and discuss other things going on ... the world keeps going even as we are absorbed in law school...and getting to taste the rest of the world is welcome. 

no634

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • No 634
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 12:04:45 AM »
I live in a fraternity house with 12 other law students. It's fine as long as you don't feel obligated to spend every second with your housemates.

A rule of thumb is that when you live with other law students, hang out at your friends at THEIR houses. That way you meet more people without annoying your housemates.