Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How difficult can it really be... seriously?  (Read 15998 times)

"That One"

• View Profile
Re: How difficult can it really be... seriously?
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2009, 09:58:22 PM »
I don’t think law school or the law is particularly difficult. What is hard is adjusting to a new way of thinking, being tested and presenting your ideas. Some folks will find that they adjust quicker than others. It just depends on how fast you “get it.” You will have some folks in your class who need to study 12 hours a day to get top grades and others who can coast and do the same thing. Its not that one is more intelligent than the other, its just more likely the later person just “thinks” in the way that works for law school more naturally than does the former.

The quicker you “get it” the easier law school becomes. I found that as soon as I stopped thinking in right/wrong, yes/no ways, like stopped forming an opinion as I read the case, the easier the whole process was, the sooner I dumped preconviced notions the easier it was for me to absorb what I was being taught and apply it, kind of like learning a new language either by emersion or looking up individual words in English to get their meaning in say Spanish. The piecemeal way is harder, the immersive changing the way you think method is easier in the long run, once you get that everything is cake.

TITCR...you could memorize every ounce of Black Letter and still get a B+.  If you want to do well in law school it is all about ANALYSIS.  Remember this phrase "it depends" lol.

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2009, 09:27:21 PM »
I don’t think law school or the law is particularly difficult. What is hard is adjusting to a new way of thinking, being tested and presenting your ideas. Some folks will find that they adjust quicker than others. It just depends on how fast you “get it.” You will have some folks in your class who need to study 12 hours a day to get top grades and others who can coast and do the same thing. Its not that one is more intelligent than the other, its just more likely the later person just “thinks” in the way that works for law school more naturally than does the former.

The quicker you “get it” the easier law school becomes. I found that as soon as I stopped thinking in right/wrong, yes/no ways, like stopped forming an opinion as I read the case, the easier the whole process was, the sooner I dumped preconviced notions the easier it was for me to absorb what I was being taught and apply it, kind of like learning a new language either by emersion or looking up individual words in English to get their meaning in say Spanish. The piecemeal way is harder, the immersive changing the way you think method is easier in the long run, once you get that everything is cake.

TITCR...you could memorize every ounce of Black Letter and still get a B+.  If you want to do well in law school it is all about ANALYSIS.  Remember this phrase "it depends" lol.

Other useful phrases:

"On one hand... On the other hand..."
"Plaintiff contends... defendant contends..."
"Under common law... alternatively..."
"Based on the underlying purpose of the statute, plaintiff's interpretation is superior because..."

_______
.|E|R|S.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2009, 09:32:24 PM »
Tetris: have you read fiver's LS exam tips?  She's a SCOTUS clerk who went to your school.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2009, 09:46:13 PM »

Other useful phrases:

"Based on the underlying purpose of the statute, plaintiff's interpretation is superior because..."

Or this that I actually wrote on my property exam:

“ At this point I have no freaking idea who owns Blackacre, who has  vested interest in it, who’s is springing, who has the remainder, hell I don’t really care at this point. The only person I know for sure that does not own Blackacre is me, because if I did I would sell the damn thing and quit law school after taking your test.”

I got an A-.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

"That One"

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2009, 10:51:33 PM »

Other useful phrases:

Or this that I actually wrote on my property exam:

“ At this point I have no freaking idea who owns Blackacre, who has  vested interest in it, who’s is springing, who has the remainder, hell I don’t really care at this point. The only person I know for sure that does not own Blackacre is me, because if I did I would sell the damn thing and quit law school after taking your test.”

I got an A-.

I've always wanted to draw a giant middle finger

nailemlaw

• http://www.nailemlaw.com
    • View Profile
    • Nail Em Law Exam & Course Support
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2009, 07:10:00 PM »
Variations of all of the above are true.  Law school is more difficult because of the amount of material you're expected to have at your fingertips while simultaneously needing to be able to effectively talk about it. 

Imagine needing to learn the vocab for three different languages all at the same time...that's what it's like.

http://www.nailemlaw.com

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2009, 11:22:29 PM »
To the OP:

_______
.|E|R|S.

no634

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • No 634
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2009, 08:08:02 AM »
I think it depends on the quality of law school that you attend, but the main thing that makes law school different is the grading curve.

UNC0L

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2009, 11:22:31 PM »
This is why I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it to take a summer prep course.  I've been out of school for 2 years, and get the feeling that 1L is going to be rough.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2009, 12:45:28 AM »
This is why I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it to take a summer prep course.  I've been out of school for 2 years, and get the feeling that 1L is going to be rough.

It's not.  Law school is all about taking a few exams.  Don't bother going to class or reading if you can do that.