Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: New York LS or Hofstra Law?  (Read 1695 times)

Nowhere Fast

• View Profile
New York LS or Hofstra Law?
« on: March 16, 2009, 01:11:34 PM »
I've been accepted to both -- with no $ offered. 

I live in Staten Island, approximately an hour from NYLS (via the bus) and an hour to an hour and a half from Hofstra (via car).  I'll probably opt for moving out to an apartment closer to the school though.

Anyway, I know that Hofstra is slightly higher up on the ranking ladder than NYLS, but I'll eventually want to work in Manhattan -- so would choosing a LI school, especially one that doesnt release their post-graduation employment rates, be the worse decision?

Although it may be a shot in the dark, I'm planning on transferring up and out of either one of those schools, no matter which one I ultimately choose.  I know I can't rely on that, so I want to make sure I choose the better of the two if I do end up toughening it out till graduation. 

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: New York LS or Hofstra Law?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 03:16:51 PM »
I would recommend going to Hofstra between these two schools.  It has a slightly better reputation among practitioners in the area.  More important, it is the only law school in its county, and you are likely to have superior clinical opportunities during law school.  If you live near the LIRR, it should be no problem for you to have summer internships in Manhattan.

You also may want to consider Touro, where I am pretty sure applications are still being accepted for the fall.  I know it is ranked lower, but it is also the only school in its county, and it is right next to both the federal and state courthouses in Suffolk County.  The classes are small, and I bet you'd get a pretty good education there.  It also has new facilities that are supposed to be gorgeous. 
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

ohioan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 06:43:43 PM »
I would suggest NYLS because of their alumni network in NY city as well as the opportunities you would have for experience, networking in the surrounding areas. I have heard many a horror story to Hofstra and that they don't want to give up their employment info is a major red flag.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 06:48:56 PM »
Frankly, you hear plenty of horror stories about both from jdunderground.com. I would choose the one that gets you out with the least debt.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 06:53:27 PM »
I would suggest NYLS because of their alumni network in NY city as well as the opportunities you would have for experience, networking in the surrounding areas. I have heard many a horror story to Hofstra and that they don't want to give up their employment info is a major red flag.

Both Hofstra and NYLS have a lot of alums in NYC.  I really think you are underestimating NYLS's terrible reputation in the city.  It goes something like this:

Columbia > NYU > Fordham > Cardozo > Brooklyn > St. John's > Rutgers > Seton Hall > Hofstra >>> Pace > Touro > NYLS
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.