Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: which is better?  (Read 758 times)

js11287

• View Profile
    • Email
which is better?
« on: March 16, 2009, 12:48:16 PM »
So,I'm just beginning this whole process and have done a lot of research on schools. I haven't taken the LSAT yet, but from a bunch of practices and my history with standardized tests, I think I can expect at least in the high 160s, and probably higher. In any case, my GPA is about a 3.6, but I transferred schools after freshman year and my gpa shows a steady upward trend, about which I plan to write an addendum.

Anyway, I'm applying to a lot of schools; I would love to go to Georgetown or NYU but I know those are big reaches. Realistically, I'm thinking Fordham. But since I also have to coordinate with my fiance's ability to get a job (he's an aerospace engineer and can only work in certain places, climates, etc), I'm all over the place. I heard that if one wants to ultimately practice in NY, which I do, it's best to go to a school in New York or DC (with the exception of Harvard, Yale, etc). Will going to a school out of state, like UGA or Maryland put me at a serious disadvantage for passing the bar/getting a job? Is it better to go to a less prestigious school (Buffalo, Syracuse) in state than a better one (T15-20) out of state?

This is just a tentative list but some of the places I'm thinking are: Fordham, GW, American, UGA, Emory, UConn, Maryland, U of Chicago, Cardozo. I'm going to apply to Georgetown as well even though its a definite long shot.

Also, I'm interested in international law.

Can anybody give advice or possibly recommend/eliminate schools for me? Thank you!

just Trev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: which is better?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 12:50:38 PM »
stop worrying about schools right now...

what you need to do is study like hell for the LSAT...

the better you do, the more options available to you...

now get to work.

js11287

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 01:28:27 PM »
yes,i know. Unfortunately, I'm living in Italy right now and therefore am limited in what I can do as far as studying. I'm signed up for a Princeton Review class upon my return, and am neither taking summer classes nor working to ensure that I can dedicate as much time as possible to studying.
So in the meantime, I'm focusing my efforts on what I am able to do from across the ocean, including researching schools.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 03:59:08 PM »
Go to the highest ranked school you get into that is also near a place where your fiancee finds work. 

Pardon Johnny Cash.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 04:02:17 PM »
js, you're not going to get a lot of replies.  As everyone who's in the app process knows, working about what might be is futile until you have that solid number.  For instance, if you think you might get from the high 160's to the low 170's and with your GPA, the difference between a 167 and a 170 is HUGE.  Plus, everyone thinks that they have a range and you don't know until you get that score.  So, basically, there's not much anyone can tell you.

js11287

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 04:14:05 PM »
Yeah I know. Again, though, things are going to be kind of rushed when i get home so I'm trying to figure out some starting points now. I know that I can't figure out with any degree of certainty exactly which schools i will or will not be able to get into, but I think that it is possible to find of range of schools to keep my eye on until I know my score for sure.

Perhaps you can answer a more general question for me:
Through my search thus far, I am looking roughly at about 5 schools in NY, which is where I ideally want to be. However, do you think that cities like Chicago, Boston and DC will be ok to pass the bar in NY? I figure they're less esoteric than, say, Tennesee or Wisconsin, and thought that there are probably more people in these major metropolitan areas outside of NY that eventually want to end up back in NY?

Thanks again everyone. I realize this isn't the conventional way to go about doing this, but I'm just trying to amass as much (albeit vague) information as possible while I'm abroad to facilitate the process. Thanks.

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 06:08:30 PM »
So,I'm just beginning this whole process and have done a lot of research on schools. I haven't taken the LSAT yet, but from a bunch of practices and my history with standardized tests, I think I can expect at least in the high 160s, and probably higher. In any case, my GPA is about a 3.6, but I transferred schools after freshman year and my gpa shows a steady upward trend, about which I plan to write an addendum.

Anyway, I'm applying to a lot of schools; I would love to go to Georgetown or NYU but I know those are big reaches. Realistically, I'm thinking Fordham. But since I also have to coordinate with my fiance's ability to get a job (he's an aerospace engineer and can only work in certain places, climates, etc), I'm all over the place. I heard that if one wants to ultimately practice in NY, which I do, it's best to go to a school in New York or DC (with the exception of Harvard, Yale, etc). Will going to a school out of state, like UGA or Maryland put me at a serious disadvantage for passing the bar/getting a job? Is it better to go to a less prestigious school (Buffalo, Syracuse) in state than a better one (T15-20) out of state?

This is just a tentative list but some of the places I'm thinking are: Fordham, GW, American, UGA, Emory, UConn, Maryland, U of Chicago, Cardozo. I'm going to apply to Georgetown as well even though its a definite long shot.

Also, I'm interested in international law.

Can anybody give advice or possibly recommend/eliminate schools for me? Thank you!

U of Chicago is a tremendously longer shot than Georgetown, by far.

If you want to practice in New York (and I'm assuming you mean NYC), UGA has no business on your list.  I'd also cross off Maryland.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

ohioan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 06:33:58 PM »
There is no harm in the OP's question. I agree that practical advice can not really be offered until they have taken the LSAT, but if he really wants to go to UChicago and then from asking questions early he will know that if he is struggling to beat 167 on his LSAT, he needs to choose some other good schools too. Not like us dumb people who score in the low 160's and have mediocre gpa's  ::)

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 06:34:42 PM »
I would also cross off American & Emory. They don't place well enough in NYC.

As other posters have said, it's all moot until you have an LSAT score. Your GPA only puts Yale, Stanford, and Boalt out of the picture (they are GPA heavy). A high enough LSAT will make any other school a possibility, a low LSAT could disqualify you from all the schools you mentioned. Even if you are in Italy, that shouldn't prevent hard study. Don't rely on a review course to get you the practice you need.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

js11287

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 06:52:32 PM »
Thanks everyone.

I am reading the books I brought and taking practice tests, etc, but I can't take the LSAT until October anyway. I understand what you're all saying about not being able to know where I will be able to apply/get in definitively, but I really don't get the harm in trying to do as much as research as possible now too.I get that even 2 or 3 points can make all the difference, but I know that, for instance, I'm most likely not going to go to Yale, nor am I really going to go to a T3 school. I appreciate all the advice thus far.