Law School Discussion

Mercer Law vs. Penn State Law

Good Teacher

• Karl Marx was misguided but he meant well.
    • View Profile
Re: Mercer Law vs. Penn State Law
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2009, 07:54:22 PM »

I still contend that online forums are too risky for anyone seeking wise council.  Yes, there are a lot of people that give great advice but all the bad advice and discouragement can negate them and leave one feeling even more confused.  Mind you, since the person who created this topic is named "Hopeless", I'm not counting on him/her to have the fortitude to withstand a lot of negativity. :-\

No offense intended to the person named Hopeless.

Blessings   ;)

Reasonable people can disagree about this.  That's for sure. 

I also like in-person advice too; however, in-person advice is only superior to online advice if the person knows what he/she is talking about.

In some respects, they will know better than we do, since they will know the person much better.

However, many people come from backgrounds where the people around them give bad advice.  I speak from personal experience, as well as friends'
experiences. 

Even if someone has superior knowledge and knows that, e.g., a law school (or law school in general) is not right for you, they may be afraid to say anything, because
it may hurt your feelings.  People online, however, are more likely to tell you the blunt truth (or at least their version of "truth").

Because of this, I asked for in-person and online advice.  It worked out well for me, and I couldn't be happier!  I just wanted the OP to see another perspective, and realize that there is good advice on the internet, just as there is good advice "in the real world."  :)

I agree.  :)

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2009, 09:32:27 PM »
I agree.  :)

Good.  I guess we should all hold hands and sing "Kumbala" now!  :D

Ninja1

• ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2009, 09:44:11 PM »
Without slogging through 4 pages, it depends on where you want to work. That should, 100%, be the basis for your decision if there are no scholarships involved.

lou

« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2009, 05:19:32 PM »
Without slogging through 4 pages, it depends on where you want to work. That should, 100%, be the basis for your decision if there are no scholarships involved.

TITCR

One thing to add, Dickinson will continue to climb in the rankings - how fast or for how long, I don't know, but it will - because of the Penn State brand and money. Quality of applicants has gone up precipitously. New building in State College is killer too. But none of this should really matter to the OP.

« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2009, 08:51:05 PM »
One thing to add, Dickinson will continue to climb in the rankings - how fast or for how long, I don't know, but it will - because of the Penn State brand and money. Quality of applicants has gone up precipitously. New building in State College is killer too. But none of this should really matter to the OP.

PSU will rise in rankings, but it'll probably plateau in the mid-to-high 50s.  I think it can stay on par with the other top PA schools (obviously I'm keeping Penn out of the discussion, since it's leagues above the other schools; that's just the reality) for a few years.  However, Penn State's name and money won't allow it to keep that going forever due to its location.  People are going to want to go to schools in Philly and Pittsburgh instead of Carlisle or State College, PA.