Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: selecting a school means knowing where you want to work?  (Read 2062 times)

ohioan

• View Profile
Re: selecting a school means knowing where you want to work?
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 06:41:28 PM »
Take Cincinnati. DePaul isn't worth an extra $45k.

titcr

what does "titcr" mean?

This is the credited response
LSAT humor? Great.  I'm still stuck. Practicing IP attorneys suggest the IP program does not matter and that debt is a huge factor, while some say that going to where networking and job opps are maximal is best...
On one hand I have Cincinnati which will cost me $29,000/yr but provides only the basic IP courses. The job opps, placement, and salary from UC are good and there is much less competition for those jobs, unlike in Chicago. Also, the 6 IP courses I would take (hard IP) are taught by practicing attorneys. On the other hand, at DePaul, having $15,000 in debt more per year, the IP coursework and writing is advanced, not to mention the many more job opps. But, I don't think the faculty are as strong as Cincinnati (based on scholarship). Between the two I am sure I would enjoy Chicago more, but one would also have to have the disposable income.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 07:21:59 PM »
Take Cincinnati. DePaul isn't worth an extra $45k.

titcr

what does "titcr" mean?

This is the credited response
LSAT humor? Great.  I'm still stuck. Practicing IP attorneys suggest the IP program does not matter and that debt is a huge factor, while some say that going to where networking and job opps are maximal is best...
On one hand I have Cincinnati which will cost me $29,000/yr but provides only the basic IP courses. The job opps, placement, and salary from UC are good and there is much less competition for those jobs, unlike in Chicago. Also, the 6 IP courses I would take (hard IP) are taught by practicing attorneys. On the other hand, at DePaul, having $15,000 in debt more per year, the IP coursework and writing is advanced, not to mention the many more job opps. But, I don't think the faculty are as strong as Cincinnati (based on scholarship). Between the two I am sure I would enjoy Chicago more, but one would also have to have the disposable income.

Law school grading joke, actually.

It sounds like you'd prefer to go to DePaul.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

ohioan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2009, 10:27:42 PM »
That's just it, I don't have a preference. The pros and cons for each choice seem to equal out. I don't know which factor I should be giving more preference to.

just Trev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2009, 05:29:43 PM »
in the end you must give overall preference to...

wait for it...

your fellow LSD'ers, and what we think.

now go to cincy.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2009, 06:14:50 PM »
For  most purposes these schools are regional to the cities they are in. So pick one you think you like practicing in after school and go for it. DePaul is in a large legal market meaning if done right thorough good networking from day one you can bypass most of the complications of having so many good schools in one city. Who you know often beats where you go.

Cinci is a smaller market and networking hard there could mean you will meet more people and not get lost in a Chicago sized bar.

Either way plan to start networking from 1L on with working lawyers and judges and you should be fine, both of these place best in thier cities, so trying to get out of state takes diffrent stratgey. 
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

contrarian

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2009, 08:05:21 PM »
Actually accumulating $15,000 a year at 8% interest will leave you with $67,500 debt.  Better to know that now than find out in four years that you didn't factor in that 8%.

PravinLal

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2009, 08:30:16 PM »
Actually accumulating $15,000 a year at 8% interest will leave you with $67,500 debt.  Better to know that now than find out in four years that you didn't factor in that 8%.
Are you sure about that figure?

SamE397

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2009, 11:28:16 AM »
I don't how you calculated that number; it's only about 4k interest because you don't borrow the whole amount at the beginning of law school you borrow 15K each year for three years.

However, even if you borrowed all the extra cost at once the interest would still only be about 11.5k. 

Also, 8% interest on student loans sounds really high.

PravinLal

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2009, 01:08:46 PM »
Don't you typically borrow money per semester?  I almost suspect that would represent 4 years tuition, given the reference to 4 years in the post.  (4 years could also very legitimately include 1 year until law school.)  It is wise to take account of interst, but that number seems unreasonably high.

contrarian

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2009, 06:51:35 PM »
Are you sure about that figure?

You're right, I was basing it on four years in school and $15,000/year.  It actually comes closer to $48,700 for three years.