Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Employment Law  (Read 1295 times)

CalLaw05

• View Profile
Employment Law
« on: March 15, 2009, 09:55:39 PM »
I'm currently in the process of studying for my LSAT, to be taken in October. I've been working in Human Resources for the past 2 years which has peeked my interest in employment law, hence my interest in law school. Does anyone know of schools or programs that specifically focus on Employment Law?

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Employment Law
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 10:55:57 PM »
I'm currently in the process of studying for my LSAT, to be taken in October. I've been working in Human Resources for the past 2 years which has peeked my interest in employment law, hence my interest in law school. Does anyone know of schools or programs that specifically focus on Employment Law?

Strong English/verbal skills are going to be important when writing your law admissions essays and doing interviews. Never use a word without properly spelling it, defining it, or properly contextualizing it. While your contextual use of "peeked" might have been a typo, I wanted to offer that sage advice. Misuse of language can kill your applications, so be careful.

Peeked, i.e., "looked" or "viewed"

v.

Piqued, i.e., "aroused", "sparked", "evoked", "provoked", "inspired"

That said, many east-coast schools are strong in Labor Law: Georgetown would be a great choice.

Also, any school strong in Entertainment/Sports Law is going to have a strong labor focus, hence, the NY and CA schools (particularly L.A.) would be good.

But, you should resolve to get into the very best school you can, overall, regardless of specialty, b/c you can always do a visiting third-year at a school that has your specialty and still hang a more prestigious degree on your wall.

Consider getting an LLM in Labor/Employment Law at Columbia or San Diego.

Michigan has an LLM in Labor/Employment Law, as does Berkeley.

American University has its Administrative Law and Regulatory Practice concentration/umbrella, which has an LLM in Labor and Employment under it.

http://www.wcl.american.edu/llmlawandgov/curriculum.cfm#civil

Don't get me wrong; a school's specialties should factor into your decision, but not in a major way.

Scentless Apprentice

• Sr. Citizen
  • My ego isnt LSD strong but I still want to play.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 11:32:01 PM »
How's the view from up on that horse?
Birds of a feather flock together.

LSN

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 01:45:03 AM »
How's the view from up on that horse?

Ok, I concede that my response reads as harsh and judgmental. But OP should know this. Have you read some of the personal statements that people send in? It's a wonder they bother to apply, at all, in some cases.

But, I didn't mean to come off as arrogant; the advice is good. Perhaps it would be more appropriate in another post, where we can all discuss common syntax/language errors and debate over convention. I don't know how interested people would be in such a thread, but it could be helpful to many.

Scentless Apprentice

• Sr. Citizen
  • My ego isnt LSD strong but I still want to play.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 03:07:01 AM »
Agreed. I'll admit I mostly wrote that because I'm holding a grudge over your quid pro quo/LSAC argument from a previous thread. I thought it was pretty insane. But, you have a point about using proper spelling & grammar. And, you did help the OP with some useful info. I respect your ability to respond to sarcasm with such restrain.

/derail

Birds of a feather flock together.

LSN

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 10:46:09 PM »
Agreed. I'll admit I mostly wrote that because I'm holding a grudge over your quid pro quo/LSAC argument from a previous thread. I thought it was pretty insane. But, you have a point about using proper spelling & grammar. And, you did help the OP with some useful info. I respect your ability to respond to sarcasm with such restrain.

/derail

Aaaawww man...i just let it out there. I'm cool. Everybody's cool. The problem with all of us is our egos. I have a big ego and a big mouth sometimes. I'm working on it. But I can admit it when I really screw up. For what it's worth, I thought everyone had good points. As strenuously as I tend to argue, sometimes i sit back and go, "Damn! I never thought about that."

There are some very smart people on this site, and I respect them all. Sometimes they treat me like dirt...like I know nothing. But sometimes, u have to practice entertainiong the wildest ideas just to see how people can refute them. It's nothing but game-theory to me. Have you ever studied it? My guess is, yes.

Most law students are into that, and chess, and poker, and Machavalean theories. So I love the combat. But I'm not about to go hunt somebody down next year at school...stand up in front of my Appelate Advocacy class and say, "Yeah, I know some of you guys blasted me on LSD last year!" lol. It's just a game. I love it.

linquest

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 01:16:00 PM »
There's a list of schools with employment law certificates here, see "Specialized Programs" on right-hand side-  http://lawprofessors.typepad.com/laborprof_blog/

Cornell, Illinois, Wisconsin, UPenn, Hofstra, Hamline, St. John's, Northeastern, WVU and Buffalo also have good employment law classes/faculty.
Fed gov't atty

Lovebug508

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 06:40:57 PM »
I signed up to LSD the second I saw this post!

I too am a HR professional.  I just finished my Master's in HR last year!  Thank you for the list of schools with Employment law focuses....I am still waiting on Hamline's decision!  American has a really good employment law concentration and you would be set up to work for the Department of Labor in DC after graduation!

Lovebug508

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 11:00:10 PM »
Oh wow...well you know how slow the gov't is! LOL

Well congrats on your job!  My first choice is UNC and I am still waiting to hear back.

Did you do any summer internships with employment law firms?  Jackson Lewis's summer associate's program looks pretty good?