Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UCLA LLM waitlist  (Read 6797 times)

Manwithaplan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
UCLA LLM waitlist
« on: March 15, 2009, 07:48:58 PM »
I have been put on the ucla llm waiting list. Is anyone familiar with the movement on the waitlist?

As an aside, is anyone aware of the prestige of a ucla llm? I am very aware of their usnwr JD rankings, but does the same correlate to the LLM program?  It has always been my impression that llm's are much easier to get into comparatively than the jd program because the best and brightest will have been employed after graduation and that an llm is not that great of an asset outside of tax law. as my classmate put it, "it is the last refuge of scoundrals."  Is this true? Do employers look favorably on an llm? I am currently a 3L at USD Law and I plan to pursue a bankruptcy/tax llm if admitted if that helps your answer.
USD Law grad

phisher

• View Profile
Re: UCLA LLM waitlist
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 12:46:16 PM »
I'll try to respond in several sections.

1) I cannot speak to the movement of the UCLA waitlist. Sorry. check your PMs.

2) An LL.M. is not a good option if your goal is to use it to cover up an unimpressive JD or shore up your resume. Most employers will not consider you after your LL.M. if they would not have considered you before the LL.M. Tax is an exception, but even then the Tax LL.M. is not a sure way to boost your appeal to employers.

3) UCLA's LLM is a general LLM, though you can concentrate in particular subject areas. You say you would like to pursue a bankruptcy/tax LLM... If so, then you should look at schools that do offer tax LLMs. Your JD school, USD, offers a tax LLM that is in the top-10 for tax llm programs. In LA you can also look at Loyola Law School, which offers another Tax LLM in the top-10. Both of those schools would do far more for you than a general LLM from UCLA. The UCLA LLM just does not carry the same prestige as USD or LLS, and honestly it is a much better idea for someone who does not already hold a domestic JD.

4) If you are struggling finding a job now and looking at an LLM as a way to improve yourself to try again next year, I would suggest that you rethink that. You will probably find that you would be far better suited taking ANY legal job... public service, government, contract attorney, anything. First, you will make a little money. Second, you will develop experience. If you decide that you really DO want to get a tax LLM, then your applications will be stronger for having that experience. And if you decide otherwise, you'll have some practical experience on your resume.

Despite the tone, I'm not saying that you should not get an LLM...I'm just saying that an LLM is not for everyone and many people pursue it for the wrong reasons. Your post just seemed full of the wrong reasons and motivations, so I hope you reconsider your options and make a well-reasoned decision.

Manwithaplan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 11:07:16 PM »
one of the principal reasons i considered the ucla llm is because they have a concentration in bankruptcy. i have interned for the bk court, the US trustee and the 9th cir. BAP. Because my chances of employment at what I want to do seem dim at best, I thought an llm in bankruptcy would be a nice addition to my work experience. thanks for your insight though. I will keep the board posted as to my decision.
USD Law grad

redwagon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 08:30:52 PM »
if your interest truly resides in bankruptcy look at st. john's...it is a ll.m. in bankruptcy as opposed to a general ll.m. with a few bankruptcy courses.

rochel35

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 08:38:59 PM »
how great the LLM... but i have no idea of that topic can you give me some example of that specific topic?

make money online