Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Pros Vs. Cons  (Read 3745 times)

Orion1

• View Profile
Pros Vs. Cons
« on: March 15, 2009, 12:36:55 AM »
Hello all,

I am thinking of a career in law (particularly public office).

I am a Sophomore in high school. My GPA is like a 3.0 because I screwed up a few times lol
My dream job would be to work in public office (both on state and national level) but I know the best way to get to that is to get a degree in law.
So my question is:
What are the pros and cons to being a lawyer? I have read that it is a "boring" job but I want to hear like complete pros and cons from actual lawyers.

Also, what can I do to improve my language and debate skills because I feel completely illiterate sometimes when I am reading legal documents :P

Thanks for your replies

lyre

• brightly burns
    • View Profile
Re: Pros Vs. Cons
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 03:53:03 PM »
Your high school GPA doesn't matter when you're going to law school, so don't stress about a 3.0 -- plus, you're only a sophomore so you have plenty of time to improve it.  Just try to go to the best college you can get into and afford.  Law school will add on a lot of student loans on top of whatever you pay at undergrad, so getting lots of scholarships will help.

The pros and cons of being a lawyer depend on you and what you find to be positives and negatives.  Is law a "boring" job?  Maybe, but most jobs are, that's why they're called work.  LOL.  Also, there are so many different kinds of law to practice -- for example, a good friend of mine is studying to be a tax attorney.  To me, that sounds dreadful, but I want to be a trial lawyer and she thinks that sounds ridiculously boring.  When you go to law school, everyone takes the same classes the first year.  That will give you a chance to see which parts of the law you think are interesting and which ones make you fall asleep.  :)

I also wouldn't worry about feeling illiterate when reading legal documents because you will probably continue to feel that way until you are pretty well into law school.

Orion1

• View Profile
Re: Pros Vs. Cons
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 07:57:17 PM »
Sorry, I didnt clarify. I meant GPA to actually get into an Undergrad school

And umm, yea because I read some things and they said that its long hours, takes away from a family, gets paid well, etc.

Thanks for your help!