Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Attrition rates...  (Read 1134 times)

barond

• View Profile
Attrition rates...
« on: March 15, 2009, 12:19:43 AM »
Why do all the 'bad' schools have double digit attrition rates if the degree is less prestigious than the Tier 1 schools. You'd think if the Tier 1 standards were that much better they would kick out much more students than a bad school. Or is a more prestigious school 'prestigious' because of the entrance requirements, but the degree is not more difficult to obtain than a lower ranked school?

nerfco

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
Re: Attrition rates...
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 12:43:39 AM »
You'd think if the Tier 1 standards were that much better they would kick out much more students than a bad school.
Why would students that could choose to go to any school choose a hypothetical "top" school with 10% forced attrition over another "top" school with no forced attrition?

Also, suppose that forced attrition means the school is essentially telling a student they are not capable of becoming a good lawyer, at least their their current effort level. Now, why would it make sense for the same number of "top" students (so defined by high GPA and LSAT) to be told they couldn't make good lawyers as would be the case at schools with less "elite" students?

It makes sense to me that everyone at YLS, with a high undergrad GPA and a 99th percentile LSAT will make a good lawyer. And thus, it wouldn't make sense for such a school to have any forced attrition.

linquest

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 03:21:08 AM »
The high attrition rate at lower-ranked schools with strict curves is to protect their bar passage rates, a factor in law school rankings and ABA accreditation.  They're weeding out students unlikely to pass the bar before they graduate.
Fed gov't atty

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 11:39:20 AM »
The high attrition rate at lower-ranked schools with strict curves is to protect their bar passage rates, a factor in law school rankings and ABA accreditation.  They're weeding out students unlikely to pass the bar before they graduate.

This is part of it but lower ranked schools also deflate their grades to make the people ranked higher in the class more attractive to employers, believing that a 3.4 GPA on a 2.3 curve says more about a student abilities than a 3.4 GPA on a 3.3 curve. Top ranked schools do it somewhat differently inflating grades to make the whole class look smarter hoping that firms will go deeper into the class at a school with a 3.3 curve or even no grades at all in an effort to help the students lower in ranking find jobs as well. At most schools with a fair curve it pretty hard to fail out of law school once your in, you gotta work at it.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 10:10:33 AM »

TITCR. Lower end schools admit a bunch of people that probably have no business going to law school, and a curve that punts them keeps them far away from the bar where many of them would otherwise harm the school's bar passage rate. Good schools, meanwhile, don't need to boot half their class to maintain high bar passage rates, they instead focus on admitting people that should do well in school and on the bar.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.