Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: TJSL Entering Student 2009  (Read 9526 times)

LS_Elisabeth

• AOL Instant Messenger - Shespiecesofu
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: TJSL Entering Student 2009
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2009, 05:04:47 PM »
Anyone attending Admitted Students Day on June 6? I'm 90% sure I'm attending TJSL in the Fall. I'm still waiting to hear back from my top choice, but I think I'm going to TJSL considering I received a Dean's Scholarship. I'd love to talk to other students who will be in the class of 2012!
Elisabeth

Sean104

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 05:13:55 PM »
I'm pretty much set on TJ.  Now time to figure out the housing situation.  Yay!

Cloud'nBolt

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2009, 01:27:21 PM »
Anyone attending Admitted Students Day on June 6? I'm 90% sure I'm attending TJSL in the Fall. I'm still waiting to hear back from my top choice, but I think I'm going to TJSL considering I received a Dean's Scholarship. I'd love to talk to other students who will be in the class of 2012!

I went to the admitted students day last month. Great food, info that’s not on the website, and a good feeling about the school in general. I meet a group of “leaning students” while I was there, like im sure you will too when you go. I would go again (mostly for networking and free food), but im going to be in Europe. Hope you have fun. 

ProximateCause

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2009, 07:24:15 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I just completed my first year at TJSL. I just wanted to let people know about the school.
Yes, the campus is small, but don't judge a book by its cover. When I went to admitted students day I was really turned off by the structure of the campus, but I got over it.
Parking can be a bit of a hassle but what you need to do is figure out when the other sections are done with class so that you can find a space.
The majority of the professors are very helpful. If you email them they will usually respond in 24 hours. The professors will not try to humiliate you if you don't answer them correctly, on the contrary they try to guide you in the right direction.
The work load consists of about 2 cases per class, unless its torts which can be up to 5 cases. The usual amount of reading is approximately 50 pages per class a week. For a full time student the load is 16-17 units.

They divide the incoming class into 3 sections, and each section has approximately 60 students. We do have some students who are extremely competitive but what lawschool doesn't have these individuals. There will always be people in the class who think they know it all, but just try to ignore them. Even better give them a nick name!!!

Admin is very helpful, and they try to get to know all the students, your just not another number.
The school is small so you will get to know the majority of the students.

The sections tend to stick with each other, it's not that we don't want to socialize with the other sections it's just
that you get used to your group.
Yes, Law School is like High School. The reason why this happens is because the only thing your life consists of is Law School so we become like children. It's not too bad, just stay away from those individuals who try to stir up trouble. It gets a little sticky when people start dating each other in the sections.
Yes, have fun, go to bar review, make friends but avoid becoming part of the drama and remember that your in school to better your future.

I hope this helps. If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask.

cconnoll

• AOL Instant Messenger - tgrdbsktprep31
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2009, 08:51:58 PM »
How does TJ compete with Cal Western in placement in SD? Any thoughts?

ProximateCause

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2009, 01:17:40 AM »
Both TJSL and Cal Western are Tier 4 schools. Both are fairly well established in San Diego. TJSL and Cal Western help each other out, and work very closely in Networking events.

I can't speak for Cal Western but as for TJSL, the employment stats for recently graduated students is around 80%. Some of my friends who recently graduated have experienced difficulty finding employment because many firms are not hiring at the moment. This all has to do with the economy. I don't want to say that one school is better then the other because this is not so. The law community in San Diego tends to stick together. For example a counselor at Career Services at USD offered to assist me in any help that I needed to find an internship this summer, so as you can see we  really try to help each other.

In Feb or March TJSL had a career fair with a long list of potential employers, it varied from the district attorney's office to small firms of 2-3 lawyers. The school tries to connect students with future employers as much as possible. We constantly have mixers with judges and attorneys which provides a wonderful opportunity to network. Many TJSL grads have created their own firms and tend to hire grads from the school.

I know a few people at Cal Western who are very happy with the school and the direction their careers are going. It all really comes down to what school is the best fit for you and what you do while your at school.

I apologize if this does not answer your question, but I would recommend asking a Cal Western student their Opinion about the school and job placement for their grads.

vlu

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2009, 07:07:58 PM »
hi guys, I apologize for not checking my own thread that i started, as I have been very busy lately. Thank you for all your guys feedback, and I just want to add to the fact that I got accepted to the part-time program for TJSL for fall of 09 with the deans scholarship. So far though, I've gotten accepted to Western State University and I'm still waiting to hear back from Southwestern because I'm waitlisted there. Chance are, if I get into Southwestern, I will go there instead of TJSL but whatever happens happens. Excluding Southwestern, I think that it's a no-brainer attending TJSL over Western State and I just wanted to get to know some people that I'm going to law school with.

bigbooty1

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2009, 09:01:12 PM »
hey guys, i know this might be a personal question, but what stats did you guys have to get into thomas jefferson ? I've been on all of the stats sites on the internet which give you a range, but i just want to know if i'll get waitlisted, or even if it's worth a try.

Also, I'm writing my LSAT in december, does this put me at a further disadvantage assuming my application will be in my January? aka not as early as I would want them to be in?

thanks guys!