Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Took PT 40 yesterday, PT 41 today.  (Read 1700 times)

nooyyllib

Took PT 40 yesterday, PT 41 today.
« on: March 14, 2009, 05:39:05 PM »
Hey guys,

I've been studying for the LSATs for about roughly 7 months now.  Diagnostic was 152. PT 40 was the first full timed one sitting timed exam I took and the score terrified me - 157.  I reviewed the incorrect questions and it angered me because 70% of them I could have gotten right.  So today, I took another one to see if I can break the 160 mark.  159 was PT 41.  Once AGAIN, for logical reasoning (which was 16 incorrect total), 8 of them were either 50/50 or my carelessness.  I am trying to see if I can break the 165 mark before I sign up for the April class for testmasters.  But then again, I dont know if that will help me at all.  I've definitely gotten rid of my hate for LR, but my only hate is now from the fact that I make dumb mistakes majority of the time.  I have a feeling this is because of the time constraint. 

Did/Do any of you experience this problem before? I can literally SMELL the score 165.  But then again, if I were to insert the experimental section....this might change..

I plan on taking another one next friday. 

Any advices are welcome.

lsatprofessor

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Took PT 40 yesterday, PT 41 today.
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 12:20:30 AM »
if you are planning on taking a prep course, which it sounds like you are, i wouldn't sweat this too much.  you will likely have the opportunity to address and/or pinpoint why you are making these types of mistakes there.

nooyyllib

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 12:30:06 AM »
I'm just worried that by solving up to PT 41 (all the previous ones) will have a negative effect on me as I'm taking the prep course. and that this will prevent me from improving.

Scentless Apprentice

• Sr. Citizen
  • My ego isnt LSD strong but I still want to play.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 03:53:35 AM »
I'll write this out again. I curse this HP laptop..they placed the little mouse pad incorrectly..you can reach for a letter & your palm will barely slide the mouse pad..and you'll X something out. That's what I just did.

Billy, you should seriously slow down with the PT's. If you're up to 41, I think you should save 41 - 56 for the last 2/3 weeks before the test. I know you went through the 20's PT book & went over the wrong ones you got..how long ago was it that you actually took these tests? I think you should do them again...absolutely no harm. You get to do 4 more LG's..making sure you have the right diagram and inferences. Then, even with RC, you're not going to remember questions like: The 3rd paragraph is structued by.." YOu know..questions like that you wont totally remember, and youll get additional practice shooting back to a passage, getting the right answer & moving on. Do it again with the 30's PT book.

There is the extra variable of your class. There will be a few diagnostic classes..they may be PT's you've taken before, as I wrote in the above, thats ok. You'll get the extra added benefit of having a realistic environment to take the test in. The bulk of the class will be lessons & homework. You can take notes in class & do the homework..and talk to your istructor about things you're having a problem with.

Then, in the last 2 or 3 weeks, depending on the schedule you make up for yourself, you can take 5 PT's a week until test day, or 4 PT's a week if you start 3 weeks out..

Hopefully you get the general idea of what I'm saying. You seem to be in a groove now, I'm assuming you can finish every section on time. I think by redoing older tests you'll be able to keep that skill sharpened, and you'll be doing your course...saving those PT's till the end..for when it all comes together!

Side note, I think Superprep should be read as many times as possible. I mean..its FROM THEM!! I found this, maybe people have known about it forever: http://www.lsac.org/pdfs/2008-2009/LSATPreparation2008web.pdf

It has great stuff in it. I did the first 15 pages the other day, and plan to finish it tomorrow. The first 15 pages has 2 regular RC passages and then 2 comparative passages with full explanations. I didnt get to the LR section, but I'm sure it'll be useful. TO me, whenever LSAC is describing why answers are wrong..and you got that answer wrong...PAY ATTENTION...always remind yourself of what they said, etc. If I sound excited, its because I am PUMPED.
Birds of a feather flock together.

LSN

nooyyllib

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 01:59:52 PM »
OK, I will definitely go over the old ones again. 

Do you have any tips on how to not be affected by markings on my old exams? I go over them and those markings seem to get in the way. Photocopy them?

Scentless Apprentice

• Sr. Citizen
  • My ego isnt LSD strong but I still want to play.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 08:27:57 PM »

Do you have any tips on how to not be affected by markings on my old exams? I go over them and those markings seem to get in the way. Photocopy them?

Someone gave me a booklet PT with markings. On the LR & RC I used post it notes to cover up the ABCDE. I did it buy cutting the sticky part of the post it note, and then placing it vertically over the A through E, and then writing in new A) B), etc., with a pencil. This also worked on RC, but the passages werent marked.
Birds of a feather flock together.

LSN

lsatprofessor

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 12:12:35 PM »
i try to encourage my students to do their practice on separate pieces of paper, rather than in their prep tests or books, for exactly this reason.  it makes repetition a bit easier.  however, it is important to store the previous work with the test (or book) so that you can see if your repeating the same mistakes over and over again.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 03:40:14 PM »
julie guess tomorrow it going be 42!

mdbutler71

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 06:22:20 PM »
julie guess tomorrow it going be 42!

Beyond constant masturbation, is this what you do to divert your attention away from your pathetic existence?  Its great for people like you to have an outlet like this.  Id hate for you to know what a real dork you truly are  5 years of inane message board posts....

!закон и право!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 07:22:20 PM »

Someone gave me a booklet PT with markings. On the LR & RC I used post it notes to cover up the ABCDE. I did it buy cutting the sticky part of the post it note, and then placing it vertically over the A through E, and then writing in new A) B), etc., with a pencil. This also worked on RC, but the passages werent marked.

You have the most bizarre sig I have read on this forum yet.