Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Lateral Options from UC Davis Law  (Read 767 times)

murraj

• View Profile
Lateral Options from UC Davis Law
« on: March 13, 2009, 09:44:59 PM »
Did ok my first term (hit the curve)- 50%).  But in-state tuition is going to $32k or possibly $35k, and out of state is going to $44k or $47k, thanks to the economic mess that is California (im from out of state).  Plus, they have paused construction on our new building (CA state cash flow problems) and the admin. is now hitting students up for money, guilt trip included. All that said, I think I want out (especially considering that next year is likely to see a similar tuition increase).

What schools are peers of UC Davis?  We used to be a mid-low 30s school, and this year we're 44th.  Nonetheless, our academic and lawyer perceptions score is pretty high for a school of our rank (I believe it puts us in the top 30).

Anyhow, I am trying to evaluate all options.  I refuse to possibly pay $47k in tuition for law school.  What are my transfer options, assuming my grades hold steady (we all say and hope they'll improve, but realism is the bottom line).  Maybe if I am lucky Ill do well, and break into the top 40%, but I assume I am in the middle.

Your thoughts and advice are appreciated.

Thanks

Luxhx77

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Lateral Options from UC Davis Law
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 11:04:27 PM »
Wow... I went to McGeorge because of the expense thing, and Davis was at 28k for this year correct?

I don't think there are many options in Cali that are going to be cheaper... But I think you should remember, 35k is not going to look very bad 5 years from now.

We are going to hit some crazy inflation in the next couple years.  Just read about how china is stressing over the US dollar because they are so tied into our currency.

It seems counter-intuitive, but i would just suggest taking out as much as you can in loans and relax... our tuition bills will amount to peanuts when we look back on this.

mnewboldc

• View Profile
    • No Record Press
    • Email
Re: Lateral Options from UC Davis Law
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 09:02:11 PM »
Out of state is 47K? Does that include room & board costs, etc.? Wow.

If you've lived in CA for over a year (or close to it) you might look into establishing residency there, though I hear it's an uphill battle.
Cornell 2011